Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

I love silkie crosses. This little lady is Silkie x silver penciled Wyandotte . I call her a " wilkie "

I have a question if I cross a silkie roo to a welsummer hen. Then cross the f1 roo to the welsummer hen would that give me darker eggs? Or do I need to breed f1 hens to a full breed welsummer roo to try and get darker eggs. I just think it would be so cool to get dark brown eggs from what looks like a silkie

Two and a half week old Silver Sebright and Bearded Silkie cross. Mom is the Silkie. The baby is wonderful and actually has many of its Sebright fathers mannerisms. The baby has black skin and legs, five toes, and I think it will have a beard and muff. Really excited to watch it grow up. The father and mother are our house chickens.
Daddy Stewart

Mommy Chandni

Adorable baby!

Luv1another thanks for your reply? Did you just have him and her together for a short period of time or give him access to other hens all at same time or how ?

I just have one rooster with all my hens. I am in town so am only allowed 12 chooks (chickens all up) so he was in with all of my hens. I had seen him mating her so knew the eggs should be fertile. I had one silkie who was very clucky and sitting on a golf ball so put 2 eggs under her from the other silkie and the roo. unfortunately the big hens ate one baby but the eggs had been put in a few days apart thankfully so took her and the other egg out and put them in my dogs carrier. once the baby hatched I kept them in the carrier for a few days then allowed them out a few times a day. after probably a week I had the carrier out on the back yard and let them out during the day and at night locked them in the crate till baby was about 4 weeks and big enough for the other hens to not think it was a mouse and something to be eaten.
I have since got a smaller rooster in a swap with someone as half my hens were too small for the big rooster as I have a couple pekins as well s a couple other small ones.

Back
Top Bottom