Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
Ok, sorry newbie here, and asked so many questions
tongue.png
. Just saw your comment above. Makes sense of the grayish skin and not being as dark as a regular silkie would be. I'll just see when they hatch and grow up
smile.png

Last edited:
New to silkie genetics, but I would like to know, what I'll get from a Ameracuana(most likely is a EE) roo x white silkie hen? Colors don't matter to me, but skin color, like will they all be dark skin (both M/F) or only male is dark skin and female light skin?

ive had orpington silkie crosses, and had a few dark skinned offspring. but most of the time ive had a light blue skinned bird so you never know. it's best just to wait and see.

You always have a much darker chick from a silkie roo over a normal hen, than a normal roo. My silkie roo over EEs gives me dark gray skinned chicks, with a rare black-skinned every once in a while. :)

BTW, are all these crosses from bantam and not large size silkies? I never see LF/standard bird size or eggs for sale
sad.png
(well, rarely see them anyway)

BTW, are all these crosses from bantam and not large size silkies? I never see LF/standard bird size or eggs for sale
sad.png
(well, rarely see them anyway)
So far my crosses have been just a little bigger than bantams, when pairing a silkie to a regular. I don't think you'll get a standard size bird from the first cross. You'd have to breed the cross bird with a standard size bird, for larger chicks.

So far my crosses have been just a little bigger than bantams, when pairing a silkie to a regular. I don't think you'll get a standard size bird from the first cross. You'd have to breed the cross bird with a standard size bird, for larger chicks.
Also, there are no standard-sized silkies here in the US, so, no large crosses.

That would be nice, if there were an actual standard large size. Ya, I figure you won't get a silkie look alike in first cross and takes maybe 3-4 back and forth breeding to get something like a silkie. The first pair I said about, when I first asked is a white silkie bantam hen, but i'm going be to getting a large size one from a local egg ranch in town soon. I got one before a long time ago, it's not bantam size but a large regular chicken size silkie. How pure is it, I don't know, but they have both male and females that look just like the bantam size, though standard size birds. They are sold mainly for meat purpose, to the Asian customers.

Last edited:
That would be nice, if there were an actual standard large size. Ya, I figure you won't get a silkie look alike in first cross and takes maybe 3-4 back and forth breeding to get something like a silkie. The first pair I said about, when I first asked is a white silkie bantam hen, but i'm going be to getting a large size one from a local egg ranch in town soon. I got one before a long time ago, it's not bantam size but a large regular chicken size silkie. How pure is it, I don't know, but they have both male and females that look just like the bantam size, though standard size birds. They are sold mainly for meat purpose, to the Asian customers.
Where are you located? I could use some standard-sized silkies (don't mind if they are pure, since I would be using them to skip a gen or two in my cross-breed project... I'm going for larger size than bantam.) Are you in the US, or?

Yes, i'm in Fresno, CA USA. I'll post pic later, when I go see them this week. To be honest, i'm not sure how big they are, but they aren't bantam size for sure.

Back
Top Bottom