Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
chameleon, let's see some full body pictures. There are a few pure breed non-puffballs that also have the fifth toe, although based on those leg colors,your's is still a cross with one of them.

chameleon, let's see some full body pictures. There are a few pure breed non-puffballs that also have the fifth toe, although based on those leg colors,your's is still a cross with one of them.

There they are with their mom. I assumed she's a mutt because she obviously has the Naked Neck gene, but she also lays white eggs and has 5 toes. From what I understand that's not normal for a Naked Neck. I don't know much about chickens though, these are my first and they're rescues. The mom also has sort of grey legs, but I couldn't get a picture.

There they are with their mom. I assumed she's a mutt because she obviously has the Naked Neck gene, but she also lays white eggs and has 5 toes. From what I understand that's not normal for a Naked Neck. I don't know much about chickens though, these are my first and they're rescues. The mom also has sort of grey legs, but I couldn't get a picture.

I do appologise if I'm on the wrong thread for this. I just thought that as this thread is about silkie crosses someone else might have come across the strange toes.

I have a Silkie cockerel. He is about 9 months old and has been successfully covering two old silkie hens and a small bantam cochin hen. Their run is about 12' x 14'.

I've two young pullets a silkie and a sizzle that is out of the small bantam cochin hen and a different silkie cockerel (at least I am hoping they are pullets - no combs or waddles developing thus far) that are in a run inside that run so I can introduce them into my small flock. The pullets were hatched 4 1/2 months ago. They are not laying or doing anything that definitive that tells me they are boys or girls. Right now, I really feel they are girls.

So, today, it was observed that the cockerel and the sizzle were throwing themselves at each other through the fencing that is separating them. By the time I was able to get out to the chicken run, they had stopped. I've been putting them next to each other for about a week now and have never seen ill behavior. I watched them for a while and they never started up again.

Is this normal?? My intention was to integrate them with the others in the near future - probably when they show signs of sexual maturity. May be a few months before they are completely together.

Advice?? Thank you

I posted a pic of this baby in the silkie thread, but lots of folks are saying she's a silkie mix. Maybe y'all can help me figure out what she's mixed with? I'm not sure on the age, I got her 2 and a half weeks ago and she already had wing feathers. Having never had silkies before, I assumed that her feathers would fray with age....but they didn't. She only weighs 4.5 ounces, so a tiny little thing. Shown here sitting on her favorite person, my 2 year old.

The person I bought from had all her silkies together in a pen, but did have sebrights and various other bantams running wild. Maybe one of those got into the silkie pen?

I have one other chick who is obviously silkie, so in comparing their temperaments, I do notice differences. This chick seems less inquisitive and more meek. Though when it comes to treats, she gets very ferocious, she'll take on her 3-times-her-size companion and win! Otherwise very calm and usually very quiet.

I posted a pic of this baby in the silkie thread, but lots of folks are saying she's a silkie mix. Maybe y'all can help me figure out what she's mixed with? I'm not sure on the age, I got her 2 and a half weeks ago and she already had wing feathers. Having never had silkies before, I assumed that her feathers would fray with age....but they didn't. She only weighs 4.5 ounces, so a tiny little thing. Shown here sitting on her favorite person, my 2 year old. The person I bought from had all her silkies together in a pen, but did have sebrights and various other bantams running wild. Maybe one of those got into the silkie pen? I have one other chick who is obviously silkie, so in comparing their temperaments, I do notice differences. This chick seems less inquisitive and more meek. Though when it comes to treats, she gets very ferocious, she'll take on her 3-times-her-size companion and win! Otherwise very calm and usually very quiet.
Maybe a Cochin/silkie mix? Idk though. Pretty bird, though.

Here's my Black and Buff Silkie cross, (on the left, named Abraham) Black and White Silkie cross, (on the right, named Lincoln. Both were born on Ab Lincoln's birthday)

My two EE & Black Silkie crosses:
(On the left is Val, born on Valentine's day) (On the right is TJ, his dad's name is Twillight, so TJ stands for Twillight Junior
263a.png

[/IMG]
This is Dale and Luna. Luna was supposed to be a girl, but we were wrong and the name stuck. He likes to perch and nap on you. Dale was named after Chip and Dale cartoon, because his color looked like a chipmunk. They are Russian Orloff x white silkie. The unique color patterns from this mix are amazing. Although Igor Sparkles (the Russian roo) is a massive bird, he's quite a gentle breeder with all the girls.

Here's Chip (of the Chip and Dale pair). She's not as friendly as the others, but she still tolerates being loved on. Occasionally she even seems to like it.

Back
Top Bottom