Silkie Crosses

They will be smooth feathered. They will likely have black skin, a crest, a beard (if the silkie is bearded), feathered feet, five toes and a walnut comb.

Last edited:
I just made a Partridge Silkie (Hen) x Bantam Salmon Faverolles (Roo) cross this summer. Chicks are about 1.5 months old now and are quite interestingly varied in color. All of this first generation are smooth feathered, as expected, five toes (since both Silkie and SFs have five toes), combs not certain.

I am quite encouraged by one of the chicks who is obviously a Roo with the coloring of his father, the SF, with those pretty green feathers on the sides. The goal is to backcross to pure Silkies to hopefully get the pretty coloring of the SF Roo with Silkie and fluffy feathering.

I've gotten some hit and miss pics of the chicks with my cell phone, but I will try to clean up the pics and post later.

~Donald in SC

Here are the pics. Sorry about the quality. These were snapped with my camera phone from the top of the chicken tractor (which has turned out to be a greater brooder for chicks).

The white one with the grey hood and feet is a hen, I think. I'm betting that the one on the left with more typical Salmon Faverolle coloring is a roo.
2874527503_fec4c3de66.jpg

I'm thinking hen on this one. Lots of interesting color here. Is this patterning called lacing?
2875353938_0eb2b24121.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics everyone! They are great.

Bad news with my silkie mix egg. Thanks hurricane Ike!! Power went off after she started peeping but before the pip. Lost her before she could get out of the egg. Very sad.

She was jet black (perhaps it was a black sexlink egg), black skin, 4 toes, and had feathered feet. Sure would have been a cutie.

Shane

Here's a better photograph of one of my Silkie X Salmon Faverolles crosses. I managed to capture one of them from the chicken tractor today and brought him to the back door for wife to take his photo. Of course, he wasn't too happy about this, at first, but after some snuggling he calmed down. After the photo opp., wife had to hold him, too, because he's so cute. I'm thinking this one is a roo because his coloring is so much like the pure Salmon Faverolles baby roos that I have in the same pen.

2875089205_b82724994d.jpg

I can't wait until next spring for the next generation of these crosses. I want a fluffie Silkie with all those beautiful red, teal, and purple colors.

Back
Top Bottom