Silkie Duck Thread

Ok, I see "Silkie" and I see "Silky" as the spelling of these. I'm going to stick with Silky. lol. Thoughts?
I'm thinking Feathersite has them as "Silky", and it differs from Silkie Chicken.

I should go see what Holderreads lists them as.

These are my deep thoughts for today... tune into tomorrow's episode of Theatre vs. Theater. :)
smile.png

I spell it Silkie, because that's how Holderread has it spelled.

Ok, I see "Silkie" and I see "Silky" as the spelling of these. I'm going to stick with Silky. lol. Thoughts?
I'm thinking Feathersite has them as "Silky", and it differs from Silkie Chicken.

I should go see what Holderreads lists them as.

These are my deep thoughts for today... tune into tomorrow's episode of Theatre vs. Theater. :)

Holderread list them Silkie
I've seen it both ways as well. I think it's "Silky" as in "Silky Doves."
hu.gif

Do silky/ies ducks fly?

Also, do they need to be in the water to mate? I recently heard that some ducks have to be in the water to mate, not sure how I missed that! We do have pools out for them, during the warmest part of the day, but I have never seen any of the ducks try to do.. that.. in the water.

Do silky/ies ducks fly?

Also, do they need to be in the water to mate? I recently heard that some ducks have to be in the water to mate, not sure how I missed that! We do have pools out for them, during the warmest part of the day, but I have never seen any of the ducks try to do.. that.. in the water.
Yes, bantam ducks fly. A fully covered aviary or wing clipping will fix that right up. The silky silkie slinky ducks I have worked with never showed much interest in flying though.

I don't think they require water to mate, but they are happier if they have a little pool or tub to swim and bathe. My ducks all seem to be land-humpers.

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/silkies_page/silkies_page.htm

Ok I think the person above had it right. It's a plural thing. But I'm cool with "Slinkies". That's an excellent suggestion GQ!
gig.gif

ETA: Yes to the silky dove comment. It's listed under the caption on one pic.
I think he has it spelled both ways, so who knows? What is the history of this breed anyway? Where did it start?

BANTAM DUCK CLASS
  • Black Silkie Ducks
  • Dusky Silkie Ducks
  • Gray (Mallard colored) Silkie Ducks
  • Snowy Silkie Ducks*
  • White Silkie Ducks

Back
Top Bottom