Silkie Experiences (need advice)

Caileys_Chickens

Songster
Dec 6, 2018
I have a small silkie hen and a silkie rooster. The coup is a mixed group of chickens. We got our hen (who we named Baby, since she was like our little baby) back in late July. She had hatched in June. I dont think shes laying though and shes really skittish of the other chickens. Our silkie rooster also wont mount her, but will mount all of our other chickens. I dont want to cull her or anything, I'm just curious of why shes acting like this

Silkies can have a lot of trouble with other birds. They're often smaller, and their feathers can impede their vision and make them nervous about things coming up behind them where they can't see.

Do you have any pics?

She might have too much fluff around her face to see properly. I'd trim or tie back all the heads on her feather so she can see. Keep in mind that chickens have a very wide field of view, much wider than humans, so feathers behind her eyes are an issue for her. The below is a diagram on a rabbit, but chickens have a similar field of view, something along the lines of 300 degrees.
upload_2019-4-5_10-11-3.jpeg

Silkies can have a lot of trouble with other birds. They're often smaller, and their feathers can impede their vision and make them nervous about things coming up behind them where they can't see.

Do you have any pics?

She might have too much fluff around her face to see properly. I'd trim or tie back all the heads on her feather so she can see. Keep in mind that chickens have a very wide field of view, much wider than humans, so feathers behind her eyes are an issue for her. The below is a diagram on a rabbit, but chickens have a similar field of view, something along the lines of 300 degrees.
View attachment 1727016
20190224_163137.jpg

Shes the smaller one. She does have some feathers in her face, but everytime we tie them up she pulls out the rubber band. I'm afraid to cut her feathers because I dont want to cut her.

If you can get someone else to hold her, you should be able to trim the feathers easily. Don't cut them down to the base, just trim the ends off.
Either she needs to be able to see better, or she needs to be kept only with other silkies. I'd also be worried about letting her free-range when she can't see properly, as she'll have a harder time spotting threats.

It can be an inconvenience, but if you could make a separate area and sleeping quarters for her and the male, that would build her confidence. Female Silkies can go broody very easily, which can also attribute to why the other hens don't want to be around her or her around them. I'm curious what breed your other hens are?

It can be an inconvenience, but if you could make a separate area and sleeping quarters for her and the male, that would build her confidence. Female Silkies can go broody very easily, which can also attribute to why the other hens don't want to be around her or her around them. I'm curious what breed your other hens are?

They're a barnyard mix. Our silkie rooster watches over all the hens. We have amaricaunas, silver laced, three black hens (we dont know what breed they are), barred rock, one gamefowl, and a grey hen. We were thinking of getting another silkie for her to be around?

If you can get someone else to hold her, you should be able to trim the feathers easily. Don't cut them down to the base, just trim the ends off.
Either she needs to be able to see better, or she needs to be kept only with other silkies. I'd also be worried about letting her free-range when she can't see properly, as she'll have a harder time spotting threats.
I'll trim her feathers as soon as I get to my dads today.

We also dont have anymore silkies, should we look into getting more for her?

Well..She is being bullied by the regular Chickens I'm thinking and being the Rooster he is servicing the other hens. Your small Silkie Hen is stressed out.
Separate the Silkies in another pen.
Shes the only other silkie we have, which is why im looking into getting more. She really gets along with two chickens, I dont know what breeds they are (I'll attach a file) but they're kind of loners too.
20190331_170540.jpg
(ignore the Americana, she likes pictures)
20190224_163041.jpg
(shes the big white hen)

Back
Top Bottom