Silkie Expert needed! 9 week old- roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stampntam, Jun 2, 2010.

1. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    Okay I know silkies are hard to tell gender but I have 6 white silkie chicks I purchased at TSC and they are 9 weeks old. I have figured out most of their genders but this one has me stumped. Unfortuneatly I think I have 5 roos, [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay any guesses?
    Here is the one I know is a roo, he crowed!!!
    Spike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is the one I think is a hen
    Puff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for looking!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    anyone?[​IMG]

3. kipoley

kipoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    BFE Assyria, MI
    Well. The one that crowed... rooster [​IMG] The others I would have to say hens. They don't look like the roo. The pics are hard to tell by due to size.

My partridge is 12 weeks old. Today I saw color (green) in the tail feathers and I said definitively " Matrix, you're a rooster". The wattles came at about 10 weeks. The posture at about 7 or 8. Still no crowing. They are so hard to tell.
    Kimberly

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    1. Hen
    2. Roo
    3. Hen

5. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    thanks so much, I really hope the first one is a hen so at least I have two hens.

6. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Are you sure they are 9 weeks old? I have a 12 week old silkie chick hopefully a girl) and it's much smaller. It is black and the neck feathers are still coming in with just a tiny tuff on the head. Granted, it's a feed store chick, but the pick of you with your hand next to the chick makes it look much bigger than mine, which I can scoop up with one hand.

7. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I am pretty sure the are 9 weeks,(now 10 weeks) I purchased them at TSC in the bantam bin and was told they were only a few days old and that was on April 2. Here is what they looked like when I brought them home. This girl is the smallest of the 6 I got too. Is their a regular size silkie chicken? Maybe they are not bantams I am not sure.
    the day I brought them home
    http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs471.snc3/25864_1285522418497_1243238059_30877076_2356770_n.jpg

a few days after we brought them home

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  8. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    hmmmmm, this is what my feed store silkie looked like almost a week after I got her (she was a "day" old chick, I figure 3 days wen I got her).
    [​IMG]

I think your chicks were at least 2 weeks old, probably closer to 3 when you got them. They still seem large, or maybe mine are just small. But, for what it's worth, I think Puff is a pullet [​IMG] I still have no idea what sex mine is, way to young to tell. I am just trying to compare her to the pictures I took of my silkie roo as he grew up. She has no wattles, and her neck and head feathers are still coming in, so I am hoping pullet [​IMG] since I am pretty sure that the little blue sillie "friend" I got her at ChickenStock Saturday is a roo in the making [​IMG] At least he is super sweet. Good Luck!!

9. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    oh, how cute! what do yours look like now. I found another picture of mine
    Here is the picture the day I brought them home. I think the other one was a few days after, sorry
    [​IMG]

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:yeah yours still look like they were about a week old there....

I agree that you have 2 hens. mystery gender looks nada like your roo and they're the same age, and it looks like that one has a very nice poofy head is all, and hardly no waddle growth.

I have 1 7 week or so and 2 6 week old blue silkie chicks and I'm dying to know what gender they are! much to small to tell yet, man i can't wait for atleast a month to get here to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by