Silkie feather damage - depluming mites? - need guidance

SunnyFLChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Space Coast, FL
Hello BYC! Need some guidance on how to help my girls. I have some silkie hens who had a molt in the fall...but their feathers never really recovered.

Now it's spring and everyone is trying to go broody. I do have a roo in with them and at first I thought he was being too aggressive. I did get and used hen saddles. Which seemed to help some of the bald spots but now I have stripped feather shafts and bald spots in other areas. :(

I don't know if this is contributing to the feather issues but it seems like I have a parasite. Just not sure what type and how to help them!
20220427_085023.jpg

This girl is a sizzle. You can see a broken shaft.
20220427_085029.jpg

20220427_085328.jpg

20220427_085726.jpg

These ladies are just over a year old. They are on a standard layer feed right now. I would like to supplement or offer a better feed. If anyone has suggestions for something they have had success with I am all ears!

My focus would go to the feed in this situation. I know you mentioned standard layer feed - what is the protein content of that?

Additionally, are you offering any other kinds of food? Scratch, treats, ect?

My focus would go to the feed in this situation. I know you mentioned standard layer feed - what is the protein content of that?

Additionally, are you offering any other kinds of food? Scratch, treats, ect?
It is 18%. We do offer veggie scraps from the kitchen regularly and the occasional dried meal worms.

Feed sounds good. Mealworms, as long as they are not too much of a portion of their diet, that should be fine.

Are they still laying eggs?

I haven't used feather fixer myself, but those stats definitely look good. It couldn't hurt to try.

Doing some side research to see if I can find others with the same issue - found a suggestion to check them over for mites. Might be worth checking this out here.

I haven't used feather fixer myself, but those stats definitely look good. It couldn't hurt to try.

Doing some side research to see if I can find others with the same issue - found a suggestion to check them over for mites. Might be worth checking this out here.
I did look for any bugs for evidence of bugs. I didn't see anything crawling on them and no eggs of any sort either. I'm not against treating for something if that is a possibility.

So I went back out to double check about any mites. I still don't see anything alive on them. Definitely no nits....but they do have large bald patches! It was hidden under their fluffy feathers. (What remains at least) Also, as I was handling her, carefully of course, feathers were coming out.
20220427_141546.jpg

20220427_141627.jpg

Could this be depluming mites?!? Are they too small to see?

Last edited:
I spoke to my local feed store and they suggested a flock block or other boredom busters. She seems to think it may just be them picking at each other.

I went ahead and got the flock block. I will hunt around on here for any other toys and entertainment for them.

Back
Top Bottom