Silkie feather damage - depluming mites? - need guidance

It's possible that they may have depluming mites. I've had a similar issue with my Orpingtons that started during winter and finally decided to try pour on 5 mg/ml Ivermectin last Friday. The mites burrow into the base of the feather shaft and don't move around on the bird, so the clue to their presence is feathers that look like they've been "stripped". I will update in a few weeks to let everyone know if the treatment was successful. The good news about this type of mite is they give live birth, don't lay eggs, and they stay 100% on the bird. Some small solace anyhow. I still have my coops coated in diatomaceous earth just in case...

It's possible that they may have depluming mites. I've had a similar issue with my Orpingtons that started during winter and finally decided to try pour on 5 mg/ml Ivermectin last Friday. The mites burrow into the base of the feather shaft and don't move around on the bird, so the clue to their presence is feathers that look like they've been "stripped". I will update in a few weeks to let everyone know if the treatment was successful. The good news about this type of mite is they give live birth, don't lay eggs, and they stay 100% on the bird. Some small solace anyhow. I still have my coops coated in diatomaceous earth just in case...
Please keep me updated. I was considering this direction myself.

It looks like depluming mites to me, too. Their skin feels so itchy they actually just pull or break the feathers off :( . They could have feather eating mites, too, they are the ones who eat the feather material. Still, the birds may be tearing that off from the itchiness.

Everyone on here seems to agree that ivermectin is the way to go for DM. Mine had them last summer/fall, but they go dormant in the late fall/winter. My hens had feathers all winter, but now it is starting to come back, so I'll have to do the ivermectin soon. Just look up that word and you should be able to find dosing for chickens, because it is used off label for them. It may take a moult for them to get all their feathers back, since the ones they break at the base won't grow back till then, but most of them should come back sooner.

Good luck!

Now it's spring and everyone is trying to go broody.
Definitely no nits....but they do have large bald patches! It was hidden under their fluffy feathers. (What remains at least) Also, as I was handling her, carefully of course, feathers were coming out.
Going broody, hens will have a large bald patch underneath them. Makes skin contact with the eggs. Feathers may come out fairly easily if it's underneath them when broody as well.
It is 18%.
Do you think it would be worth switching to feather fixer?
Unless you just like the "Feather Fixer" formula/ingredients/price better, then why switch?
You are already feeding an 18% protein feed. "Feather Fixer" is marketing, pure and simple. It a way to get folks to buy their brand of layer feed during molt when often folks switch from a layer feed of 16% to an all flock feed of 18-20% protein. "Feather Fixer" is just a layer feed with 18% protein instead of the standard 16%. Genius in a way.

I spoke to my local feed store and they suggested a flock block or other boredom busters. She seems to think it may just be them picking at each other.
Do keep in mind that flock block is just a huge hunk of scratch and sunflower seeds pressed together. Averaging 8-9% protein depending on content and brand.
It should be treated as a treat. You can put it down for a little while each day and let the birds entertain themselves, but if you are concerned about protein content, then this is going to dilute their daily intake just like throwing them some scratch will do.

Feathers are broken and worn. Rooster damage, picking, plucking...possible it's Feather Mites. If you really feel it's Feather Mites, then get some Ivermectin Pour On and treat them. Ivermectin Pour On dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine coming into contact with the skin. Repeat in 10 days.

Any feathers that are broken, stripped or those worm and the feather shaft is still intact in the skin will not be replaced until the hens molt.

Going broody, hens will have a large bald patch underneath them. Makes skin contact with the eggs. Feathers may come out fairly easily if it's underneath them when broody as well.

Unless you just like the "Feather Fixer" formula/ingredients/price better, then why switch?
You are already feeding an 18% protein feed. "Feather Fixer" is marketing, pure and simple. It a way to get folks to buy their brand of layer feed during molt when often folks switch from a layer feed of 16% to an all flock feed of 18-20% protein. "Feather Fixer" is just a layer feed with 18% protein instead of the standard 16%. Genius in a way.

Do keep in mind that flock block is just a huge hunk of scratch and sunflower seeds pressed together. Averaging 8-9% protein depending on content and brand.
It should be treated as a treat. You can put it down for a little while each day and let the birds entertain themselves, but if you are concerned about protein content, then this is going to dilute their daily intake just like throwing them some scratch will do.

Feathers are broken and worn. Rooster damage, picking, plucking...possible it's Feather Mites. If you really feel it's Feather Mites, then get some Ivermectin Pour On and treat them. Ivermectin Pour On dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine coming into contact with the skin. Repeat in 10 days.

Any feathers that are broken, stripped or those worm and the feather shaft is still intact in the skin will not be replaced until the hens molt.
The flock block was just as you said - for entertainment. Something to keep them occupied besides their feathers.

I did not know about the bald patch on broodies! Makes sense! 🤦‍♀️

Do you know if you have to do an egg withdrawal for pour on ivermectin?

The flock block was just as you said - for entertainment. Something to keep them occupied besides their feathers.

I did not know about the bald patch on broodies! Makes sense! 🤦‍♀️
30 day withdrawal period. Some folks observe it, some don't.

Keeping them busy is always a great idea. I didn't mean it to sound like you shouldn't!:)
Mine love getting some grass, weeds, leaves, pine needles, etc. to dig through. Hanging a cabbage or apples for them to pick at works well too. Chickens can get cranky, so if busy, they are happier.

Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

Alright, first dose of ivermectin is on! Do I redose in 7 or 14 days? I thought I had seen both in different threads....
The girls have slowed down laying but they are still randomly giving us eggs. We will toss them for the withdrawl.

Great idea about grass clippings and leaves! I will add that to our rotation.

How soon can I hope to see feather growth on the bald patches? I know it's slow. 🙁

Alright, first dose of ivermectin is on! Do I redose in 7 or 14 days? I thought I had seen both in different threads....
The girls have slowed down laying but they are still randomly giving us eggs. We will toss them for the withdrawl.

Great idea about grass clippings and leaves! I will add that to our rotation.

How soon can I hope to see feather growth on the bald patches? I know it's slow. 🙁
Repeat in 10 days.

Feather regrow it dependent on the hen and how the feathers are lost. If molted, then you should see it fairly quickly. If from being broody and they are still broody, may take a while unless you break the broodiness, then hormones should calm down and they start to feather in...still will be a while.
Broken feathers won't be replaced usually until a full molt.
Basically...it's a wait and see type of thing.
Ivermectin Pour On dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine coming into contact with the skin. Repeat in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom