silkie feather question

MNmommy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
central MN
I also posted this on the genetics board too but thought you guys could answer it too

I bought 4 silkies from a breeder that says he breeds show quality birds. I have a question regarding the way the feathers are coming in. I don't plan on showing any of my chickens but i did pay more for them compared to a hatchery and I was just wondering if the black ones might be mixed with something else? They are all 11 days old so I know they have a lot of feather to still come in but they just look so different on the wings. Or do some silkies have the flatter normal looking feathers versus the fur look??

I have 2 black ones that look like this. Their feathers seem more flat and normal bird like. (don't mind my lack of terms
tongue.png
) they also have a real lack of feather on the feet compared to the other 2. They also are much bigger and heavier.

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

the other 2 are much smaller in stature and their feathers look like this with much more feathering on the feet.

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

return them, or get a refund.

Those 2 bigger ones are crosses, silkie feather is a rec trait...

silkie x silkie = 100% silkie
silkie x smooth (non carrier) = 100% smooth carrying silkie.

..... on the other hand, if you're looking for broodies, those 2 will be the best around (if they're hens).

Thanks I left him an email telling about the 2 birds. We will see what he says. But do you guys know a 100% it is crossed?? Incase he tells me some silkies have smooth feathers I want to feel confident about my claim.

Quote:
No silkies have smooth feathers. Silkie feathering is recessive, so any pure silkie out of 2 silkie-feathered parents will have silkie feathers. If any smooth feathered bird not carrying the silkie gene is bred with a silkie feathered bird, 100% of the offspring would be smooth feathered, het for silkie feathering. That chick is a mix.

UGGGGGG I just called him and he said he would give me credit for next year. I'm like I won't need to buy chicks next year because we can only have a set number of chickens where I live and I don't need anymore and I thought I was buying pure silkies. He said they bought some new line at a show and thought they were getting pure silkies. We kept running around the issue that I didn't get what I paid for and all he kept saying was next year I can have credit!!!! UGGGGG so now i am stuck with crosses that if they turn out to be roos I can't even turn around and sell them. I am just really disappointed. I don't know i guess I will see what they turn out to be and hopefully they will be sweet hens??? or else they will be freebies for someone.

I feel like calling him back and say hey I will bring these 2 back to you and you can give me 2 "real" silkies now.

what would you guys do??

I won't take the offer of any credit.... return the bird to him and get your money back... no point feeding something you'll have difficulty to get rid of later.

Tell him you'll return the bird! Either get a pure one somewhere else or have him give you a pure one. If it ended up a bad buy for him, doesn't mean it should be a bad by for you.

I know mine are pure, they just aren't the most gorgeous! But not have normal feathering, just the classic feathering. Plus that bird isn't even pure black?!?! It has a grey gene somewhere?!

Let him know you are not accepting a credit... he needs to replace the bird or your money.

I agree, you should tell him you want to return the mixes and you want either a refund or pure silkies in exchange.

Quote:
The chick is blue.

Back
Top Bottom