Silkie Gender ID?

LavendarFeather

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
This little bird is about 4 months old. Has a bit of that "swept back" look that I've heard says "cockerel," but I'm not sure. Pretty skittish, runs away from me (I've only had it 6 weeks, not from hatching). That's why it was so hard to get a picture from the front. Hope it's okay. Any ideas? Thanks!

Really hard to tell from those pictures, can you get some better ones, but i would also lean toward boy material
hmm.png

Any cockoodooles..???

If my sister comes over maybe I can get some better pictures. The Silkie runs away from me, and I can't hold her and the camera at the same time. What would help most? Should I try to move the feathers on the head to see what's under there?

And no crowing yet, but I have noticed chest bumping the last few days--with the largest pullet, not the known young cockerel in the pen. The "sparring partner" is a light brahma that grew up with the Silkie. She's like a prison warden.

It's official. You were all right! Sally is now "Sal." He crowed about five times this morning at about 5:30. It was cute. Not too loud. At first I thought it was the puppy crying to be let out of her crate. Does anyone know if they get louder as time goes on?

i was once told silkie roos are quieter than other roos....

whoever said that LIED! My guys are sooooo loud!!! My white one is the loudest of all 4 roosters... my other silkie roo is a tad bit quieter... just a bit.

Back
Top Bottom