Silkie has huge gash/wound on back of its neck - Pecking order went way to far

it dosent really look like a pecking order because its deep and wide and if you hadent noticed it for a couple of days it could of been a preadator pos a pic of all your chickens and the wound again pls

All of my other chickens are perfectly fine and the wound is still the same - Do you need a clearer picture? I don't normally look my silkies over that much, once I open that door they run right out of the coop. I know that pecking can kill chickens - I've heard of cases where a poor chicken, or turkey, gets pecked till there is a little bit of blood. Once the chickens see the red there is no stopping them. I just really can't see how a predator could do that... The coop is very secure. For the past days I know my BR was chasing one of the silkies around, I just didn't think much of it. I know the BR has been a little rough on my silkies. I feel so sick... I guess I'll get have to get another coop for the EE and BR.

I had a couple of chickens I had to get rid of because it was picking on my Silkie. One was a plymouth rock, I thought I had whacked it enough times so it would stop but I heard the silkie sqwauk, looked outside and saw a bunch of silkie feathers and my silkie had a big hole on the side of her neck. The sad thing was it was a chicken that she had hatched and raised. I had to get rid of a 4 month old rooster for the same reason. My other plymouth rock Molly is a sweetheart and gets along with everyone. Im thinking of going with more bantam chickens to avoid this very thing in the future. Chickens have so many different personalities.
The Blu Cote is good stuff I used on my roosters crop after I cut a tiny slit in it to remove three screws it ate. It does stain tho! Apricot still has purple feathers. Hope your chicken is going to be ok! I think if you keep it clean and keep a eye on it she will be fine. Keep us posted!

Last edited:
UPDATE: Yesterday night (Saturday) I put Sam into our storage room, which is the coolest room in our house. This morning (Sunday) I did the second "tweetment". Her neck looks a TON better! It still looks horrible, of course, but it is making progress. The blood has scabbed, so she won't loose more blood and it can hopefully begin to heal up. After I get back from church, or before if I have time, I'll post new pictures. Thanks for all the help and words of comfort - That's why I love BYC so much
hugs.gif
Please pray that Sam will get better and I will be able to figure out what to do with my chickens, especially my BR (Toni).

Here a couple pictures from this morning:

She is stained blue from the Blu-Kote

Last edited:
YAAAAYYYYY!!!!! That looks better already!
yesss.gif
Thats awesome that it has scabbed over.

I have a silkie the same color named Samantha.
smile.png

I wonder if antibiotics would be something to do as an extra precaution (?) Maybe someone can chime in on that.

Well the pecking order problems should be over. Toni, the barred rock, got killed by a hawk yesterday.
he.gif
I loved her so much...
hit.gif

I'm putting the silkie, Sam, with the others today, after a fresh coat of blu-kote, and hoping that everything will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom