Silkie has runny nose....Help please :)

Shadowhills Farm

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
DuPont, Washington
So we have had this Siklie "Moo" for a week now. She has a runny nose (sometimes clear, sometimes has stuff stuck to it). Her feathers get matted from it. It does not smell, but she does open her mouth a little once in a while.

I was planning to show her- but there have been no improvements. She has gotten a Tylan 50 shots and has Duramycin-10/vitamins & electrolytes in her water daily. Has been drinking and eating normally.

No other bird has been showing signs.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silkie hen (Bantam), not sure of weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Runny nose, sometimes opens her mouth, sneezing.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Week
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not that I know of
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes- eating and drinking normally
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looks normal, but get a lot of light brown poop that is sticky
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? 1 Tylan 50 shot (1/2 cc), Duramycin-10/Vitamins and electrolytes in water daily.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I believe I can treat it myself
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Picture taking skill isn't too great, but can get pics tomorrow
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use She has been on wood shavings and living in our laundry room. Also has her in shredded paper to see if she was allergic to wood shavings, no changes in symptoms

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you other than I had one do the same thing for awhile. Its been a while since then so I don't remember what I treated her with. But I kept it cleaned off of her as best I could and it finally cleared up.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

I don't know what to tell you other than I had one do the same thing for awhile. Its been a while since then so I don't remember what I treated her with. But I kept it cleaned off of her as best I could and it finally cleared up.

Thanks:) We have been cleaning it off twice a day, so maybe we need to go to 3 times a day? I have been using a warm washcloth to get the stuff off...​

Back
Top Bottom