Silkie Hatch-A-Long

Got another silkie broody! since I'm having problems with egg busting I am moving the two that I'm suspicious of into my brooder and am gonna give them boiled eggs to sit on (they are both broody) and see what happens. If they behave themselves then they will get some mixed eggs out of the layers pen unless I can save up more silkie eggs...which i probably wont since 3 of them are now broody

Silkies are fun cause they have such big personalities for such little birds and they are awesome moms! this is my first hatch with them that has gone less than perfect and I think it is because of the weather

ok last year during this time I had a broiler who was getting picked on in the other pen so I put her in with the silkies. I went down there to check them that night and one of the silkies was sitting on her. keep in mind the broiler was just as big as the silkie so she was up pretty high off the ground lol those birds will mother anything
omgosh that is so cute!!! I am just dying for my silkies to hatch!! did my 14 day candle/weigh last night and still have 18 viable, all the weights were good, one was slightly off, but not by much, so am still hopeful!!!

My chicklettes are supposed to be hatching today (and tomorrow I guess). Of the six eggs that looked viable at lockdown, only one has hatched so far. It looks lonely in there! There is another that pipped this morning, but nothing since. I makes me crazy waiting! The one that hatched looks white, but the rooster is calico or torti (splash or gray with lots of red) and I'm pretty sure the mom is blue, so I'm hoping the chick is splash, but it's possible the egg is from a partridge hen, so it could turn out to be a light buff or something. It's not even totally dry yet, so I'm just guessing. I want some more to hatch!!!! Hurry up chicks!
how is it going now??? congrats on the one for so far!!! can't wait to see pics!!!
love.gif

Just placed eggs out of turner... 1 egg has no visible veins and dark at the bottom, there was no movement, it was fine on day 14!
The other 10 look good. I have them all set and ready for pipping. It seemed to take FOREVER to get temperature back up to 100 degrees and humidity is now at 60%. I am wanting 65%-70% but having trouble. I have added a rag right under the air hole so I can just wet it without opening. (Next time, I am going to add aquarium tubing to the actual water tracks at the bottom.)
I have both air holes open at the top of incubator, should I close one until I see pipping, that would help with humidity???

Here's my egg that had two air cells... so far, it is still living... I placed it by itself so I could keep humidity lower until closer to day 21 (as recommended by detached air cell information)...
and a picture of lock down
fl.gif
fl.gif
Now I wait some more!!!!
pop.gif

Good LUCK! I can't wait to see chick pics!!!
jumpy.gif
I had a hard time boosting my humidity last time as well, I ended up putting jar lid in there with wadded up paper towel and water in it. I put drawer liner over the top of it as was paranoid of a chick hatching and drowning in a little bit of water. it really boosted humidity for me nicely. altho this lockdown I have more eggs in there, so am debating what to do still.... have until sunday to decide.

Just placed eggs out of turner... 1 egg has no visible veins and dark at the bottom, there was no movement, it was fine on day 14!
The other 10 look good. I have them all set and ready for pipping. It seemed to take FOREVER to get temperature back up to 100 degrees and humidity is now at 60%. I am wanting 65%-70% but having trouble. I have added a rag right under the air hole so I can just wet it without opening. (Next time, I am going to add aquarium tubing to the actual water tracks at the bottom.)
I have both air holes open at the top of incubator, should I close one until I see pipping, that would help with humidity???

Here's my egg that had two air cells... so far, it is still living... I placed it by itself so I could keep humidity lower until closer to day 21 (as recommended by detached air cell information)...
and a picture of lock down
fl.gif
fl.gif
Now I wait some more!!!!
pop.gif

Good LUCK! I can't wait to see chick pics!!!
jumpy.gif
I had a hard time boosting my humidity last time as well, I ended up putting jar lid in there with wadded up paper towel and water in it. I put drawer liner over the top of it as was paranoid of a chick hatching and drowning in a little bit of water. it really boosted humidity for me nicely. altho this lockdown I have more eggs in there, so am debating what to do still.... have until sunday to decide.

I use small sponges soaked in warm water to boost humidity, they stay wet for a long time and no chance of drowning a chick - but for hatching silkies I only boost my humidity to about 50%-55% on day 20. Good Luck! Can't wait to see pictures!

how is it going now??? congrats on the one for so far!!! can't wait to see pics!!!
love.gif

Four hatched. The other two eggs still looked viable so I put them back but it's day 23 so I'm not holding out much hope. Four more went into the hatching area today due to hatch on Monday the 24th. All four look good so far.

The one that looked white, now that it's dry, is more yellow/buff with a few specs of dark on her back, so either a very light partridge or maybe buff with some leakage. Then there are two that I think are splash or gray (what do you think?) and one tiny one that I think is blue. Here are some pics.

Four hatched. The other two eggs still looked viable so I put them back but it's day 23 so I'm not holding out much hope. Four more went into the hatching area today due to hatch on Monday the 24th. All four look good so far.

The one that looked white, now that it's dry, is more yellow/buff with a few specs of dark on her back, so either a very light partridge or maybe buff with some leakage. Then there are two that I think are splash or gray (what do you think?) and one tiny one that I think is blue. Here are some pics.

omgosh sooooo cute!!!!
love.gif
I am gonna be no help w/ the colors, my first ones are due to hatch next wednesday. yours are adorable though!!!

great, we are having a thunderstorm right now, pouring rain, thunder, lighting, and it's 34 degrees out.... sure hope our power doesn't go out, am in a nervous nellie status now about my eggs!!! we are sooo close to the end. UGH, hope power stays strong! Better not to borrow trouble I guess....
hide.gif

My power went out last year while I was incubating chicks. It was out for about 3 hours in the middle of the night, but I still had a good hatch. Wishing the best for you!!

Back
Top Bottom