Silkie Hatch-A-Long

well, here I go again!
yippiechickie.gif
my shipment of eggs arrived this morning, have em all weighed and candled and sitting with their little fat ends up, tomorrow into the incubator we shall go! I am excited for monday now! (I do a 5 day candle) to see what is happening!!!! good luck to everyone hatching now!!! or soon!
highfive.gif

Hi All
Im starting up again too ....eggs in bator yesterday.March 11Anyone e lse have that date?
Hatched for a solid 16 months straight 2012-2013 ..babys and grown ones even in my bath over the winter ...never again.
So had to wait until now to crank it up.Its been hard!
My first hatch since last June .Fell like a newby hatcher!
Have to say ive been chomping at the bit to do more

This is my first silkie hatch with my own eggs and im pretty excited as im not sure what ill get.My 3 girls and 3 boys are all paints but their backgrounds are dubious as to color so it will be very interesting.Just cant wait to see.!
I was going to collect more eggs than the 6 i did but one girl decided to go broody first time so she can do the rest i guess.Hers a re due i think March 29.

Dont like that tractor coop shes in though.Made it with the door at on long end so hard to reach way in to get eggs or see whats going on plus its 2 ft high and ground level have to about lay on your belly to look in .
Anyway...Good luck to all hatchers here.Hope you get lots of fluffy little angels.

Last edited:
Im starting up again too ....eggs in bator yesterday.March 11
Hatch for a solid 16 months straight 2012-2013 ..babys and grown ones even in my bath over the winter ...never again.
So my first hatch since last June Have to say ive been chomping at the bit to do more
This is my first silkie hatch with my own eggs and im pretty excited as im not sure what ill get.My 3 girls and 3 boys are all paints but their backgrounds are dubious as to color so it will be very interesting.Just cant wait to see.!
very exciting hatch buddy! Your own eggs, that is like a rite of passage or something I'd say! Can't wait till my little ones get old enough I can do that too! good luck!
highfive.gif

It is even more fun your own eggs.Sort of scarey too as their is no limit on how many you can set

Ohoh...like a drunk in a room full of bottles!! Hard to control yourself.

What colors are you chicks going to be.. or mixed?How old are your chicks now or do you just have these eggs?

Last edited:
It is even more fun your own eggs.Sort of scarey too as their is no limit on how many you can set

Ohoh...like a drunk in a room full of bottles!! Hard to control yourself.

What colors are you chicks going to be.. or mixed?How old are your chicks now or do you just have these eggs?
that is too funny. :) (your analogy)
lau.gif
I had a mixed batch last time so this time it's all buff and 2 white.... (12 eggs set total) but also all shipped... last hatch I got 16 to hatch! had 18 viable at day 5, so i'm hopeful.... last batch was a lot of blue/grey looking chicks, some splash, couple paint, couple white, buff, red, one black. lions share of them look blue though or else partridge coloring (but not sure if those are the paints or not?

Sounds like a nice variety...zim hoping ill get a few other colors than paint. especially black since ive read it helps keep your black black.Someone said mine soun d like blue paint as the black is really charcoal not black on them.

Do silkie eggs take longer to hatch? I ordered 26 or so eggs, threw away about half of them at lockdown. (they were clear) The others were looking good. I am at day 22 and only one has hatched, and one piped. I really wanted baby silkies :( My humidity and temp have been good. They are in the hovabator genesis if that makes a difference

Do silkie eggs take longer to hatch? I ordered 26 or so eggs, threw away about half of them at lockdown. (they were clear) The others were looking good. I am at day 22 and only one has hatched, and one piped. I really wanted baby silkies :( My humidity and temp have been good. They are in the hovabator genesis if that makes a difference
I'm only on my 3rd hatch, and they were all on time, but have heard on other threads that can take up to 25 days. Have also heard people trying the float test on day 23 or 24? that will tell you if they are alive or not as candling they are so dark it's tough to tell.... if you plug in float test on the search engine here should tell you how. good luck! hoping you get some more fuzzy butts!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom