Silkie Hen Having Sudden Balance Issues

Erikaleighh2000

Hatching
Apr 8, 2021
Good afternoon! New to this group and I have a health question... I have a 3.5yo silkie who has been in great health until suddenly 11 days ago I found her in the run, lying on her side/unable to stand/lethargic. She would drink and eat lying down. She’s able to stand and walk now, but her balance is terrible and she topples the vet easily. The other girls are also beating her up terribly if I bring her out to be in the sun with them (right now she’s in a large dog crate to keep her safe). She is not egg bound, has no mites, and her feet look good (no injuries). She is on layered pellets, with vitamins mixed in, fresh vegis, meal worms, fresh water. Any thoughts on what could be going on? She has five other hen siblings, the run is 8’ by 12’ (deep liter method with a 8’ by 4’ coop. No free range except for when I’m with them daily cleaning their run. Thanks all!

edit to say normal stools....

Last edited:
Is she vaccinated against mareks? Could it be wry neck (neck twisted at angle etc)
She is vaccinated and no strange angle of the neck... After she regained some strength she stands normally. But when she walks she loses balance easily and looks to have to use her wings for balance. When she topples, she takes a few minutes to rest but then can stand back up. She almost seems to walk like a drunken sailor... 😬

Unfortunately she passed away :-( We did vitamin/mineral supplements in case it was related to nutritional deficiencies. She never had reduced appetite, bowel movements were fine, she was hydrated. It really seemed like a stroke from the left wing hanging and the balance issues... that’s my best human guess in hindsight.

Back
Top Bottom