Silkie hen or roo? 15 weeks

chickie10

Chirping
Oct 7, 2019
6EEF9732-7781-447B-AE77-9F08492A99D6.jpeg
9429E4EB-9F62-4C43-919A-7288A051631B.jpeg
15BFD333-223D-45F7-A52A-F09C3F56DA1A.jpeg
We hatched silkies early this summer for the first time. We’ve had chickens for 8 years, but first time hatching and first silkies! We didn’t have a good hatch rate and out of the 2 that hatched we sadly lost 1. That said, we have the most beautiful blue silkie (I think it’s blue... do silkies come in gray?) that we were pretty sure was a pullet, but now it looks like it has streamer feathers growing out of its crest so we are wondering if it’s really a roo?? I think it’s bearded, not much of a comb or wattles... what it does have is very dark. This silkie is 15 weeks now. Here are some pics-I don’t have one of the comb, but could if it helps!

View attachment 1928348 View attachment 1928349 View attachment 1928350 We hatched silkies early this summer for the first time. We’ve had chickens for 8 years, but first time hatching and first silkies! We didn’t have a good hatch rate and out of the 2 that hatched we sadly lost 1. That said, we have the most beautiful blue silkie (I think it’s blue... do silkies come in gray?) that we were pretty sure was a pullet, but now it looks like it has streamer feathers growing out of its crest so we are wondering if it’s really a roo?? I think it’s bearded, not much of a comb or wattles... what it does have is very dark. This silkie is 15 weeks now. Here are some pics-I don’t have one of the comb, but could if it helps!
Looks like a Rooster, but can you push back his fur on his face to see the comb to make sure. Send picture

I trimmed the fur around his eyes the other day, but I don’t think I did a very good job. I was afraid of trimming too much and making a mess of the poof, but he can’t see very well so I will do a little more!
Funny enough we ordered 6 female bantams that were delivered in September since we had such poor luck with our hatchlings this summer. One was definitely sexed wrong as we are sure it’s a roo -mottled Cochin bantam (we have 2 mottled Cochins and they were identical until about 2 weeks ago!) Now I have 2 unexpected roos plus a little buff silkie roo I purposely ordered with the bantams .

Last edited:
I did post a pic above of the comb! Those white streaks in the 3rd pic are what look like streamers to us. They are distinctly different from the poof! I could be wrong, but not sure what else they would be?

What makes you say partridge? I thought partridge was brownish? Ours is definitely gray (blue?) and not brown! The roo we lost we thought was a partridge- again I have zero silkie experience aside from this one and our younger silkie roo (he’s a buff for sure as I bought him from my pet chicken as a buff silkie roo) so I could be wrong!

Back
Top Bottom