Silkie - Hen or Roo

MLGarber

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Virginia
Well, I don't know why I always assumed this silkie was a hen - all my other chicks were sexed, but I adopted the silkie later and just lumped "it" in with "The girls."

So this morning when I was out in the garden I heard a very distinctive crow (several back to back, actually) and noticed Silkie flapping wings at the same times, so from a distance, I believe that's the crowing culprit...

Can anyone shed some light... I have heard/read that silkies are tricky, but here are some pics incase anyone has an opinion. I'm guessing the crow is pretty definitive?

Roo! I have two silkie boys, one of which is identical to yours. Take a look at his tail, the feathers have volume and begin to curl at the ends, the true sign of a roosters tail.

i see streamers it looks like i say its a cockerel...how old is it? and can you post pics of the other girls just in case my roosters and cockerels dont flap their wings after every crow

Thanks! I don't know when he hatched, but I am guessing he's about 5 months old, based on the info we got from his original owner. He's the only silkie we have, so pics of the others may not do any good. Thats the only time I've seen/heard him crow thus far, so he may not flap every time.. I just happened to notice it today.

Back
Top Bottom