Silkie hen raising them?

poultrycrazy

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
:)
If i get 6 EE, barred rock, or BO chicks from TSC and give them to her will she raise them or just be mean? She hatched June 1, 2010 so not quite a yr old but close and she has been laying

I think she would raise them if she is already broody and wanting to sit on eggs. She wouldn't know they weren't hatched from her own eggs then. Is she broody now? Mine usually lay about 10 eggs before they decide to go broody, then you can't change her mind!!

Shes not broody, and has never been. Maybe ill just not get them cuz i really dont want to raise them myslef

You can encourage her to go broody by placing eggs (I use golf balls) in the nest box. I did this an in a couple days my Silkie went broody
smile.png
This is good because my EE abandoned the nest. I plan on getting chicks from TSC in a couple weeks. I will slip them under her in the middle of the night.

Keep us posted. Let us know if she goes broody
smile.png

She is hatchery stock, will she still go broody???? I really would like to do this but i am affraid that i will buy these and she wont take care of them and then i will be stuck doin it AGAIN!!! I really could use some good laying hens thats why i thought this would be cool, (and it would be my first broody!!!)

if shes broody she will raise them but you need to let her be broody for a bit before introduceing her to chicks it doesnt really matter hatchery stock or not ive hasd red sexlinks go broody and raise chicks

you cant really make a bird go broody in my oppinion sorry when she does though you can order silky hatching eggs so maybe you can get more birds next time if they go broody
Quote:

If you can wait a little while I bet she will go broody this spring. She seems to be at the right age to start going broody, and once they start going broody let her set on some golf balls like the other poster said, then find your chicks or if you can find some fertile eggs, put them under her. Silkys are one of the broodiest chickens there are. Mine are broody more times than not. They are broody crazy.

Back
Top Bottom