Silkie hen with bleeding neck injury! Help!

I'm glad she's doing better. Some antibiotic ointment on the wound will help. (No pain reliever kind)
My burning question is...
Where did you get a full size silkie!?!
Thank you! I’ll get some antibiotic ointment for her!

It’s kinda funny how we got her.. once upon a time... a friend of mine at a 4-H meeting bought some silkies at tractor supply. She was told they were Bantan however, at about 6 weeks old she realized that they were NOT BANTAM! She was upset and gave them all away to the kids at the club. We took two silkies. Marco and Polo. Honestly, I have no idea how they are full-sized. I’ve been looking around for a silkie rooster to possibly breed her with. Bantams are awesome but I look my fluffy full-sized silkie!

How old is Polo?

Does she squat for the rooster? How old is the rooster?

Some roosters can become very rough with a defiant or uncooperative hen.
Polo is 5 years old. She will run from the rooster and often gets the better of him (she made him bang his head on the ridge of our new bantam coop?!!??!) although, if he gets close enough, or if we get close enough and she knows she is caught, she will squat and let him mate with her. She does not lay as many eggs as she used to. Occasionally, she may lay. I’ve been considering giving her some protein to boost her production. Especially if I can breed her.

Can you share some photos of the injury?

What is wonderdust? I'm not familiar with it.
Wonder Dust is a blood stopper used on horses, goats and other show stock. We also have flour however, the wonder dust turns the wound into a blue/purple color so nothing pecks at it. I can provide photos in a couple minutes!
Thank you!

FF3283FB-A0A1-4383-9CE6-CACF6225C656.jpeg
927C7688-0D10-46D9-AA2E-D22FF3568B87.jpeg
52195069-7334-4DE3-84CC-F728BB19FED1.jpeg
6EBD3916-A1AB-48FB-BE82-2F1245230007.jpeg

Okay so like a styptic powder. Okay.

Waiting for pictures.

Is there anything around she might have gotten caught on?

For instance it's not a danger to our bird but on of the the tractor coops we built a couple pieces of the ends of hardware cloth stick up. It's safe for the birds but regularly impales us humans.
Our coop is pretty secure and there should not be any loose fencing or sharp anythings. Could be a possibility though, thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom