Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

omg candled eggs and i am so happy day twelve for silkie momma she is doing so well, im so proud of her.
love.gif
CONGRATS!!!!
clap.gif
Hope they all hatch!
jumpy.gif
Happy New Year!
wee.gif

Sending everyone warm wishes for a Healthy and Happy New Year!!! May our nest boxes be filled with fertile eggs and our brooders filled with chicks!
jumpy.gif
Tina

Congratulations! For future hatches, silkies often do better incubating at 99.5 to 100 degrees in Brinsea type incubators. In the type of incy that you are using, it can be helpful to increase the temp to 101 or even 102, and then check the temperature on top of the eggs. It is known that low temps can cause delayed embryo development and ultimately late death in egg.

Silkie hatching can be discouraging and sometimes I think we need to keep a box of tissues next to the incubators. Sending you a hug!
hugs.gif
Just know that not all your hatches will be like this. There are so many factors that play into embryo development and it is hard to figure out what went wrong. The age, health and nutritional status of the parent birds also play a big role.
Quote:

Unfortunately, looks like this hatch may be a bust too. Sam is disappointed but already saving eggs to try again! We had good development & moving chicks until around day 10 - 15 or so & then nothing. Not sure what is happening. We will try again, maybe cranking up the temp a bit more? We were at 100 this go around. Still have the possibility for hatching for another few days.
The lone chick from the first hatch is doing great, growing & happy. Really great looking splash but unfortunately only 4 toes on one foot (from purchased eggs not from our birds).
hit.gif

HI, I will be joining soon! getting my incubator in a couple weeks, ordered my candlers and hygrometer today.... going to do silkie eggs from ebay... this will be my first attempt at hatching, i've been researching like a mad woman and sooo cannot wait to try! I am on and off the site now, but pretty sure once I have my eggs someone will have to pry me off this site.
wee.gif

HI, I will be joining soon! getting my incubator in a couple weeks, ordered my candlers and hygrometer today.... going to do silkie eggs from ebay... this will be my first attempt at hatching, i've been researching like a mad woman and sooo cannot wait to try! I am on and off the site now, but pretty sure once I have my eggs someone will have to pry me off this site.
wee.gif
Welcome!
clap.gif
welcome-byc.gif
We just did the same thing! Please feel free to check out my posts and the other posts for hatching silkie eggs! These folks on byc are the best! I hope you get 100% success!

We had sizzle and silkie eggs, 6 viable and only 1 silkie hatched successfully and 2 sizzles. Our silkie eggs were from ebay too. When we candled the eggs the silkie eggs were very thick and nonporous. We made a big mistake of putting the eggs on day 18 in a Styrofoam container. Another silkie tried to hatch and zipped but the eggshell got stuck, it adhered, to the egg carton. If we do it again and it gets that far we will intervene if it stops peeping. I found that blunt forceps, aka pick ups/tweezers and iris scissors really allowed intricate penetration of the outer shell without compromising the innermost membrane. I utilized the iris scissor to make a small puncture hole in the air sack region and worked the area away from the bird with the pick ups. Unfortunately the birds had expired prior to intervention. I had these instruments around the house but it would seem that any sharp tipped scissor could work as well. Of 3 late deaths 1 should have survived but I failed to intervene in time, and 2 (and a sultan) were late deaths that failed to pip.

How many will you try to hatch? What colors are they most likely going to be? So eggcited for you!
woot.gif
Happy hatching!
hugs.gif
Please update as you go! What incubator are you getting?

I would try raising the temp to 102 degrees. That might be helpful for the type of incubator you have. Please give Sam a hug from Lindsey and me. Tina
Unfortunately, looks like this hatch may be a bust too.  Sam is disappointed but already saving eggs to try again!  We had good development & moving chicks until around day 10 - 15 or so & then nothing.  Not sure what is happening.  We will try again, maybe cranking up the temp a bit more?  We were at 100 this go around.  Still have the possibility for hatching for another few days.
The lone chick from the first hatch is doing great, growing & happy.  Really great looking splash but unfortunately only 4 toes on one foot (from purchased eggs not from our birds).:hit

congrats!
omg candled eggs and i am so happy day twelve for silkie momma she is doing so well, im so proud of her.:love

so glad to hear your enthusiasm!
HI, I will be joining soon!  getting my incubator in a couple weeks, ordered my candlers and hygrometer today....  going to do silkie eggs from ebay... this will be my first attempt at hatching, i've been researching like a mad woman and sooo cannot wait to try!  I am on and off the site now, but pretty sure once I have my eggs someone will have to pry me off this site.  :weee

My hatch is moving very slowly. Today is day 23 and a chick hatched this morning and one more has pipped.

So far my Silkie count is 6 chicks hatched 1 pip
1 white
2 splash
2 partridge
1 blue
and the pipped egg is a white

still waiting on 9 silkie eggs but not too hopefully but I guess you never know since I still have a little action this morn.

Back
Top Bottom