Silkie Ladder!

Did you add any kind of material to help make it less slippery? Or no just ramp?

(pic from internet):
ramp.jpg

A ramp with the occasional cross bar for traction is good or 'grip tape' which is made for such applications and won't become a disgusting mess when covered in muddy poop. You can also use paint and add sand for a diy gritty surface.

Silkies are want to be ground birds and behave very differently than normal chickens. Their crest tends to obscure their vision as well and they are not adventurous and will not generally find the ramp on their own.

They are also very sensitive to a sharp incline, so giving them an extra easy slope is a must.

I had to train mine to a waist-high raised coop and it took a lot of effort. - maybe about 2 weeks of me helping her up the ramp, placing her on the ramp close to the coop door so she'd run up on her own, and starting her a little lower each day till she got it.

Going down was never an issue. She always found her way down in the mornings. It definitely did eventually click, but I was almost to the point of building her an accessibility porch.

A ramp with the occasional cross bar for traction is good or 'grip tape' which is made for such applications and won't become a disgusting mess when covered in muddy poop. You can also use paint and add sand for a diy gritty surface.

Silkies are want to be ground birds and behave very differently than normal chickens. Their crest tends to obscure their vision as well and they are not adventurous and will not generally find the ramp on their own.

They are also very sensitive to a sharp incline, so giving them an extra easy slope is a must.

I had to train mine to a waist-high raised coop and it took a lot of effort. - maybe about 2 weeks of me helping her up the ramp, placing her on the ramp close to the coop door so she'd run up on her own, and starting her a little lower each day till she got it.

Going down was never an issue. She always found her way down in the mornings. It definitely did eventually click, but I was almost to the point of building her an accessibility porch.
Good idea with paint! And is it actually called Grip tape and can it be found in like hardware stores and such? I know they are quite different from all my other different breeds but thats what I love so much about them! I trim hair around eyes for her it helps her get around easier after a trim. I don't show any of mine so I trim whenever I see it effecting her vision again. Ive been doing exactly that with ladder training. I raised it with two bricks to make it less steep. She literally throws herself down the stairs 🤷‍♀️🤣 so coming down isnt the issue its the retreating at sun down up to nesting area she doesnt do yet! When I had other two girls id come to coop and see them in a little rugby type huddle down in run area and id move their little fluffy butts right up..now that it's just her Bootsy(my D’Uccle) puts herself to bed per usual and ill see silkie down below running her mouth looking for her pal Bootsy. Lol trying to do what I can to make her life a little easier.

When the older birds were chicks, I put ramp, or ladder up to the dog cage about 4 inches high and they got used to the ramp. Last summer I had it about 6 inches higher than it is right now and they used it without problems.
CE671838-50EC-4B07-9B1E-103548FD644A.jpeg

These are my first chickens so I have only had silkies.

When the older birds were chicks, I put ramp, or ladder up to the dog cage about 4 inches high and they got used to the ramp. Last summer I had it about 6 inches higher than it is right now and they used it without problems.
View attachment 3044327
These are my first chickens so I have only had silkies.
Urs has alot more steps thats probably helpful Im sure as well. She started going on outside Roost now she follows the D’Uccle. D’Uccle has always liked to roost and watch rain in this coop. Silkie is the chubby dark one 🤣

Attachments

• 2EE45C7B-D145-4141-A922-B20282F1A6AA.jpeg
    2EE45C7B-D145-4141-A922-B20282F1A6AA.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom