Silkie Leghorn Mix? Boy or Girl?

5acresandadream

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2016
North Eastern USA
These are my babies, they are 6 weeks old. Mothers are definitely leghorns, dad...not so sure. He was all white and looked just like the leghorn hens, but some of the babies that hatched have extra toes, black skin, and fluffy heads. I am thinking he must have been a silkie mix/mutt of some sort. I'm wondering which are boys and which are girls, as you can see some have larger crowns, but the more "Silkie" looking ones all look the same. Any ideas?

Do you have pictures of the rooster? Do you know for sure there was no other rooster? Crests and five toes aren't recessive, they're dominant or partially dominant, so you'd pretty much expect a parent to have them.

The rooster was the only rooster. He didn't have any extra toes or a poofy head. He honestly looked just like a Leghorn, so I was super surprised when these peeps hatched and I saw how different they looked.

Are they your eggs, from your own flock? If not, I'm thinking there was a wandering rooster, cause that just doesn't follow the rules of genetics. Lots of folks will discount a silkie rooster, thinking they can't/won't breed a different breed hen.

he is there to the right hand side

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom