Silkie Looking Bald on Face

spicewood chick

Songster
9 Years
Aug 5, 2012
SPICEWOOD TEXAS
Hi
One of my black silkies has been Broodie for a little while now and since becoming Broodie her top of her head feathers has turned grey and her face has lost her feathers. Is this normal or is there something else going on

That doesn't sound normal. Can you post a picture?

Sorry for the late response.

She is eating fine and acting fine but has been Broodie for a couple of months now

Attachments

• A759816B-B649-476E-9DC6-60E9EBE9CB4C.jpeg
    A759816B-B649-476E-9DC6-60E9EBE9CB4C.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 1F6F9EB4-47F0-4B10-8003-AB165D1AF5AE.jpeg
    1F6F9EB4-47F0-4B10-8003-AB165D1AF5AE.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 2F5874AF-3213-4DEE-8392-BE0B022B8AE9.jpeg
    2F5874AF-3213-4DEE-8392-BE0B022B8AE9.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 24
If she's not stopping being broody on her own, you should probably try and break her--it's not good for them to be broody for so long.

Apologies if you've already been trying.

As for the missing face feathers--I've heard that sometimes chickens try and pluck bearded chicken's faces, or nibble on their cheeks. Could that be what's happening?

@Wyorp Rock?
@azygous?
@Eggcessive?

I have to silkies and both were broodie togther and one finally broke and shes done but this one is still broodie. The techniques to break them seem awful and I work all day so can put her in a cage without a floor and keep a fan under her and watch her so I’m hoping she will break as well. Are there other options to break her?

I havent noticed anyone plucking at her except for some reason all the other girls will only lay in that one box where she is so sometimes I see them sitting either on her and i have seen one picking at her trying to get her to move so they can sit there but they still lay their eggs and she sits on them so maybe they are picking her face feathers out while shes in there?

It's likely that they're just picking out her facial feathers, then, yes.

As a kid, I had one hen starve to death on a nest. You could buy a pair of peeps and slip them under her at night, or you could put her in a wire-bottomed cage, but you have to break her somehow. They lose condition, become more vulnerable to disease and parasites, and can get very sick if they're broody for too long. (It actually suppresses their appetites, among other things.)

Well the two were very thin the whole time for sure and were famished when I would take them off the nest a couple times a day to eat. So the peeps as in the marshmallow peeps? I can only imagine how sticky that would become with that warm girl sitting on them. If I put her in a wire bottom cage do I need to be able to attend to her during the day because I work? Do I put a fan under her like I have read? I dont want her to get sick and she wants to be a mommy so bad she wont break.

Well the two were very thin the whole time for sure and were famished when I would take them off the nest a couple times a day to eat. So the peeps as in the marshmallow peeps? I can only imagine how sticky that would become with that warm girl sitting on them. If I put her in a wire bottom cage do I need to be able to attend to her during the day because I work? Do I put a fan under her like I have read? I dont want her to get sick and she wants to be a mommy so bad she wont break.
....I meant chicks... but if you think she'll enjoy marshmallow peeps....

I'd definitely go with the wire-bottomed cage. The sooner you break her, the better. Just supply feed and water and give her no bedding with which to make a nest.

I agree with @sylviethecochin since this girl has been broody for a couple of months, it's best to break her so she can get back into condition. Likely the bald face is from the others plucking at her, but a broody also does not eat/drink much, preen or take care of themselves. Check her well for lice/mites while your at it.

Crating her is probably the best way to break her - I'm not sure about the fan if you are not going to be home though.

Get her hydrated first, then see if she will eat for you. The face also looks a little crusty, take a closer look at it - if you feel like she needs it, you can apply a little coconut oil to the dry areas.

....I meant chicks... but if you think she'll enjoy marshmallow peeps....

I'd definitely go with the wire-bottomed cage. The sooner you break her, the better. Just supply feed and water and give her no bedding with which to make a nest.
Lol no marshmallow and no babies. How long would I leave her in the wire cage and should I pull
The cage out of the coop totally and put her in the garage or keep her in there with the rest of them

Back
Top Bottom