silkie making a funny chirping noise. Any idea what's wrong?

Matt Botoms

Hatching
Sep 23, 2017
This started about 4-5 days ago. She is eating fine and drinking but making this funny sound constantly. She is also spending more time in the nesting box which is unusual.

Check her to make sure she doesn't have any runny nose or bubbly eyes, and no coughs ....if that appears to be okay...

That is the sound hens make to call chicks....a little chirp, chirp, chirp.

If she is spending more time in the nest, I think she is seriously contemplating brooding. Silkies are notorious for brooding.

Watch. She may start nesting 24x7, puffing up when others come near (although my more docile Silkies tend to not do that...they chirp).

If she appears at all sick...not brooding but sounding like that all the time with any other symptoms, she may have a respiratory irritation....could be dust or viral or bacterial.

My thoughts.

LofMc

I'm almost positive she's going broody. My silkies make that same exact noise (or at least a variation) when they're broody. If she's going into the nesting box more too, then it seems very likely she's going broody.
I'll send you a video as soon as I can, my phone won't record for some reason.

This started about 4-5 days ago. She is eating fine and drinking but making this funny sound constantly. She is also spending more time in the nesting box which is unusual.
My Silkie is making this noise but she is only 13 weeks? Did you find out what was wrong?

Back
Top Bottom