Silkie Missing LOTS of skin AND sour crop help please? *cw Graphic photo of wound*

The bleach solution is just homemade Dakin's Solution which could be purchased at stores like CVS, Walmart, etc. It can be used for initial cleaning of wounds.
I don't know about you, but for me personally - any cleaning of a wound whether it's soap/water, hibiclens or solution of choice, it's gonna sting and be painful - part of the process - a well cleaned wound at the start of it all heals much better and fairly quickly - the OP's photos tell a story for sure. Wound looks good and they have done of very nice job tending to this chick.
Fascinating! I had no idea bleach could be used to treat wounds, thank you for elaborating!

I hope I didn't sound like I was being critical, I was just surprised. I've spent my whole life being told that bleach should never be used for anything but household cleaning and that it was a super dangerous chemical, so it had just never occurred to me that it had any other function.

The healing definitely looks like it has gone well, and now I know about another type of wound cleaner to file away for future reference. :)

Fascinating! I had no idea bleach could be used to treat wounds, thank you for elaborating!

I hope I didn't sound like I was being critical, I was just surprised. I've spent my whole life being told that bleach should never be used for anything but household cleaning and that it was a super dangerous chemical, so it had just never occurred to me that it had any other function.

The healing definitely looks like it has gone well, and now I know about another type of wound cleaner to file away for future reference. :)
Yeah. I wasn't 100% siure about the beach but it was 1/8 tsp to 1 cup water and 1/8 tsp baking soda so pretty diluted. So I gave it the chancev especially since that's what my friend had been doing

So it's been a busy few days including being knocked out by a 2nd covid shot.

But Cece is doing super well. We are off the antibiotics with no crop issues. I decided since the wound looked so good that I could start the process of degreasing this poor chicken. 2 baths later most of us is reasonable chicken again. And with the removal of the residue I've seen new feathers grow in on the other naked parts of them. I'm not seeing any at the wound edges yet but I'll not give up hope there.

Its been in the low 60's so we have spent a short bit of time out with my flock. My 1 year old buff silkie named Elsa is proving very patient with a VERY uppity little one and everything about the attitude says I'm a tiny rooster. Which doesn't ever surprise me with silkies. But I got some great photos here to show that indeed we are back to being a teenage chicken.
20210417231808_IMG_0128.JPG
20210417231146_IMG_0112.JPG
20210418_152034.jpg
20210417224821_IMG_0039.JPG
20210417225614_IMG_0057.JPG

So it's been a busy few days including being knocked out by a 2nd covid shot.

But Cece is doing super well. We are off the antibiotics with no crop issues. I decided since the wound looked so good that I could start the process of degreasing this poor chicken. 2 baths later most of us is reasonable chicken again. And with the removal of the residue I've seen new feathers grow in on the other naked parts of them. I'm not seeing any at the wound edges yet but I'll not give up hope there.

Its been in the low 60's so we have spent a short bit of time out with my flock. My 1 year old buff silkie named Elsa is proving very patient with a VERY uppity little one and everything about the attitude says I'm a tiny rooster. Which doesn't ever surprise me with silkies. But I got some great photos here to show that indeed we are back to being a teenage chicken.View attachment 2623532View attachment 2623533View attachment 2623537View attachment 2623531View attachment 2623530
Fantastic!❤️

And all that's left is a little patch we have so many more feathers you can see starting in the granulation tissue isn't filing in yet but maybe after we are done filling in feathers I'll see the tissue look more like silkie skin again.

We run. We jump. We square off with my cat :p

And the price is right is our favorite show.

20210421_101138.jpg

Cece is officially Neosporin free! The scabis gone gone and the area of white granulation tissue is quickly shrinking. There are feathers coming in everywhere.

I gave us a last dawn bath just now to remove any remaining residue. Now we just wait in more feathers and we will be a proper silkie fluff and we wait to see if we are a little boy or girl
20210425_180211.jpg
20210425_180304.jpg
20210425_181248.jpg
20210425_180211.jpg
20210425_180304.jpg
20210425_181248.jpg
20210425_180211.jpg

Back
Top Bottom