Silkie off it’s leg/s

Oh the poor boy! Can you put him in a little area or cage so he doesn't have to walk anywhere? With food and water beside him. And isolate in case it's a disease that's contagious...
Others on here should be able to help you out with this one I'm not an expert. Wish you best of luck with him though he is gorgeous! I'll be watching this thread so I can hear how he goes.

It's very weird check if maybe he broke has helped a pie maybe he fell while roosting or something like that if you keep it up much longer maybe you can hold the leg up and wrap something around its body while it heals if you care about it that much or send it to freezer camp

Nutrition is important and they should not be fed layer feed until they actually start laying. You should be feeding them grower or all flock. As far as the lameness the first thing that came to my mind was if they were vaccinated for Marek's Disease? Does his wings operate ok? I would defiantly social distance it in a cage with food and water to keep it safe and possibly it may give it achance to heal if its something mechanical happening.

that looks systemic rather than a leg injury to me. It won't be a calcium deficiency on layers pellets, if anything calcium overload though I don't know if that would cause this. Can you get to a vet?

6EB21A16-9FED-4EA6-9831-E3DE36A17E5D.jpeg

I’ve spent quite a bit of time researching Mareks today
It sounds like it

I don’t want to cull him, but it seems he is struggling to move much

obviously now all my male flock is contaminated. None have shown any symptoms up to now, and I bought these chickens in june

The first two chickens I bought were from an allotment style backyard breeder who didn’t have much luck raising chicks etc
Sold us “Two females “. One died about a month later. Found it under the bars in the coop. We thought it had gotten stuck and broke its neck.

the next four chickens were the silkies I got from a person who seemed the raise chickens for a living/ major side hobby. He had fighter chickens etc and hundred of chickens and a lot of chicks, I picked these as random and for different colours .. unlucky that turns out they are all males.

am I right to presume none of my chickens would have been vaccinated ... I never asked as I didn’t know about mareks then.

can I vaccinate them now. To make the possible symptoms less severe in the rest of the flock
What can I do now

what can I try to either try and possibly improve the symptoms of my affected chicken to elimate other diseases or slow down the progression

Back
Top Bottom