silkie or bantam broody?

Silkies are banty hens
smile.png

Let me reprase that silkies are bantams I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
DUH...I really did know that...I meant a silkie or another kind of bantam hen. I always think of silkies as an exotic or fancy...not a regular old banty hen! :)

Ahh, I find from my research silkies are more broody then any other bantams expescially old english hens they NEVER GO BROODY!.

But OEGB's are pretty intresting chickens they have a fancy elegant look to them too, but if your looking for a baby hatchery machine i would say silkie would be your best shot they are usually very good broodys, let alone chicky mommys

Yes, I'm looking for a chick hatcher. Except for one of my big hens I wouldn't trust the others to stay broody long enough to get the job done. Around here I think I'd have better luck finding a little bantam cochin or something along that lines. If I do that tho I'm gonna have to build them their own little pen.

P.S. I hope you know the "DUH" was directed at myself....not you :)

I would direct you to Ideal to get some cheap silkie chicks but there out of stock of them for the year I think cause wehn I went to look they were out of stock of black silkies my person favorite, I will go check if they have some I will give you a link if they do.

my banty cochin went broody at 5 and 1/2 months old. no joke. I can't have any more chickens so this was a bad thing to me - I got her out of her broody spell by locking her outside the coop when it was raining.

I have cochin-silkie cross and everytime I turn around she broody. I have heard that silkies go broody all the time and usally make great mothers.

I have a bantam partridge cochin who went broody at about 5 1/2 months and hatched all 6 eggs that were under her. (just over a week ago) She is a GREAT mom and I worried for a while that she wasn't eating or drinking enough while broody. She was pretty much glued to those eggs! We also have silkies the same age but they were much later to mature so I think they will only go broody next year. We got them all for brooding and I have been delighted with our little cochin hen, she is so tame and gentle. She has never even pecked at us all through the broody period and even now with the babies. ( though she does get kind of noisy and puffs up when we stick our hands in there)

Back
Top Bottom