SILKIE owners ONLY! Hen or Roos?

Like I always tell others, I was sure I had a Silkie cockerel until he laid an egg (true story). My Dandelion had a large comb and that swept back crest, and she was bigger than her sister with thick legs. Then SURPRISE! Dandelion laid an egg.
I lucked out with 2/2 pullets. Who knows? You might have had similar luck at 5/6.

Regardless, they are super cute!!!

Like I always tell others, I was sure I had a Silkie cockerel until he laid an egg (true story). My Dandelion had a large comb and that swept back crest, and she was bigger than her sister with thick legs. Then SURPRISE! Dandelion laid an egg.
I lucked out with 2/2 pullets. Who knows? You might have had similar luck at 5/6.

Regardless, they are super cute!!!
Good point!! I have heard stories such as yours from forums. 🥳

Tofu is definitely a cockerel
Blue too I think might be male. The rest might be pullets, or late blooming cocketels. Just have to wait until the males start crowing. I had 3 Silkies sold to me as 6 weeks old pullets. At 4 1/2 months old the 3 started crowing and trying to mate with my little d'Uccle cockerel. I just sold a pair of 2 month old white Silkies. I told the people that bought them, and the pair of d'Uccle chicks, that I didn't know what sex the Silkies are and could just guess, so no guarantee that they were getting a male and a female. I think the larger Silkie is a cockerel because of the larger, bulbous crest, the other Silkie isn't as big and heavy, and has a smaller, flatter crest.

Back
Top Bottom