Silkie pecked on head, now not eating or drinking

SilkieCoop

Hatching
Jun 15, 2015
We have a 2-3 month old silkie hen who was attacked by a barred rock on 6/13 (two days ago) while free range. No blood, but we found her right afterwards with several feathers around her and a small patch gone from the top of her head. She sat in my husbands hands for a while, and we thought she was just stunned. She has a silkie buddy that are inseparable, but she didn't stay with the other silkie, but wandered around the yard instead like she was lost or just standing by itself and not responding to the other silkies calls. She also didn't make any sounds.

We set her back in the shaded chicken coop (It has been humid and in the 80's F) with the other and by that afternoon she was lethargically sleeping, with her head laying on its side. I thought she was about to die. I tried dipping her beak in water and she might have taken some, but definitely did not try to drink. She was very lethargic. By evening, she showed a little sign of hope by keeping her head up and I tried dipping her beak in sugar water for energy.

yesterday: We gave her 1cc of poultry nutrition-drench and 12+cc of concentrated dose of electrolyte water by syringe total for yesterday. She got better about standing, though unbalanced. She moves from one end of the 4x8 coop to the other, but generally sleeps (nodding off).

Today: She is still completely uninterested in eating and drinking though I've dipped her beak many times, I've offered her cool water and feed right in front of her, but as far as I know, she hasn't eaten or drank for 48 hours (except what we've given her.) I am amazed she is able to walk around and squirm when I try to give her water from the syringe, and she shakes her head when I dip her beak... How does she have the energy without eating or drinking? Still, not a sound from her, no peeping at all. Her buddy stays close to her so she has company.

Poop: has been slightly stringy, off-white with a hint of yellow or green, and it has left marks on her back feathers.

Brain damage? Will she recover? If she is walking around and still not eating or drinking, is there hope?

Last edited:
oh no... possibly keep her away from the other chickens for a bit. she might get picked on more for being off / funny. give her some time. i think she will turn around... maybe just a concussion?

Silkies and Polish chickens are especially vulnerable to brain damage from pecks, since their skulls are quite different and less protective.
It is possibly your bird has brain damage. Only time will tell how well they will function or if they're just recovering from a concussion. Be prepared for the fact that they may not make it, or you may have to cull.
For now, keep offering tasty food and water. If she won't drink, you may want to research tube feeding and watering for chickens. Also, you should probably separate her from all other chickens if at all possible. If they decide to pick on her during the night or something, she won't have a chance. Also, with her separate you can keep a very close eye on her and give her lots of attention.

What ever happened to your silkie? Ours is currently in the exact same condition. Thanks
Hi @tjernigan :frow Welcome To BYC

You've found a very old thread and it looks like the OP has not been with us since the initial post.
If you would like give us more information we may be able to help you.

Include photos of your Silkie, her poop and list some of the symptoms she has.

You've found a very old thread and it looks like the OP has not been with us since the initial post.

I have the same problem with mine

I have the same problem with mine
Hi @Boxysilkies
Then the comment would be the same as quoted below - please share more information.
About your concerns - age of bird, symptoms and photos would be a good start!
Thanks!

my silkie has the same problem

Back
Top Bottom