Silkie pecking at itself all the time.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by phoenix912, Mar 15, 2012.

1. phoenix912

phoenix912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I have a 1 month old silkie chick that's pecking itself. It didn't fluff out like the others. When its feathers came in they look hard and sticky. Its walking backwards and running into stuff. It isn't gaining weight. When it walks backwards it looks like its picking at its leg feathers but not sure if that's what its doing. It picks at itself all the time. It is eating and drinking fine. It walks upright when it wants to. Out of 5 chicks it is the only one doing this. Is it some thing wrong with the chick or maybe bugs?

2. GableBabble

GableBabble Ninja Chicken Herder

May 27, 2010
    I cannot give you an intelligent definitive answer. I can only start with a guess of mites, but I am not even sure about that. Do you do anything preventive for them?

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Check the base of the feathers around the vent area for lice. Look for white clump of lice eggs. I would provide vitamins in the water for a while.

4. phoenix912

phoenix912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I haven't done any thing preventive for them. This is the first time we have had a problem. I will check it for lice. If it is lice should the others be digging too? What kind of vitamins should I put in the water?

5. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Maybe Wry Neck? Do a search for it. The walking backwards makes me think it's a possibilty but also when you say "It looks like it's picking at it's leg feathers while walkin backwards"
    It could be having a neck spasm?? Cause by wry neck...
    Worth checking out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by