Silkie Pile up

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
So I had a question! I believe I read on this forum before(i think it was this one) say they’ve had a similar issue..my silkies don’t roost.. they sleep in like a little rugby pile. I’ve never had this issue with any of my other chickens before but this is my first time raising silkies. Is this a common thing? And is there a way I can get them to roost? I even tried putting a little floor roost my fiancé made for them to see if they just didn’t want to roost high up but they don’t give a shit lol

Is this a common thing?
This is completely normal! My silkies do the same.
It has something to do with them being very heavy, big, birds, and they prevent injuries of falling off a roost by sleeping on the coop floor.
And is there a way I can get them to roost?
I would have said to make a roost that's lower for them, but since you've tried that, maybe every night try putting each silkie on the roost, when they cannot see (pitch dark), so they will usually stay put because they don't know where they are or where they're going.

The only issue I could see is them hurting each other if they pile up on one another. If this becomes an issue, or already is an issue, then try the underlined recommendation above ^^^

Good luck! ❤️

If possible, could you post a few pictures? I'd like to see what you mean by "a little rugby pile"..

I have had to train each one of my Silkies to roost. I physically put them on the lowest roost every night until they get the hang of it. If they jump down or fall off during the night, I place them back on the roost. It's much better for their overall health to roost at night.

Back
Top Bottom