Silkie Poll!

Silkies?

• I highly recommend them! They are great!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • WARNING: Once you have one, you will want many more!

• They are OK...Not my absolute favorite...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't recommend them (please explain)

• They often go broody and are great mothers!

• Other-please explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I started with one male and one female - the cockerell did his work and Maman Silkie hatched one chick (after her nest had been ransacked and all the other eggs taken) Petite was 5 months old when she contracted what we thought was a cold - we gave her tetracycline from our Vet but she sadly died - I was heartbroken.... our first birth here too.

Maman Silkie became broody three months after petite was hatched and she hatched 4 Silkie boys! Every three months she goes broody, she had hatched another 2 females plus a naked neck and an Indian Runner Duck (the Indian Runner has been adopted by one of my Muscovy Ducks), last week Maman Silkie hatched another 6 chicks (not pure Silkie's), sadly one died but all the rest are fine.
Maman is the friendliest chicken I have, she loves a cuddle and she will jump up at me when Papa Silkie gets too amorous - as she knows I will take her away from him and hide her - if I am not around she will run into the coop and stand in a nesting box so Papa can't get to her!

She will not let any of my other chickens near her babies - although she is tiny she has one fiery temper and will protect them with her life. I can't imagine life without Maman - she is my favourite and always will be my number 1.

Suzie:cd

I only have one silkie.
hide.gif

For now, that is! I would like at least one or two more at some point. My one silkie, Minky, is very sweet and adorable, though the poor little thing is at the bottom of the pecking order in my coop and likes to try to sleep on a branch in the run instead of in the chicken house. I just moved her indoors with one of my old silkie mixes so she could keep her company. I wouldn't say she's harder to keep clean than a normal chicken, she seems to keep herself rather clean although my run is definitely muddy at the moment. Silkies are very nice birds, I think you'll be pleased if you get one. They're just so cute and cuddly and have such sweet personalities, it's hard to resist them! They're not my favorite breed (that title goes to seramas and OEGBs), but I think they're very lovable and pleasant.

I currently have 3 White Silkies, Hector, Heidi, and Holly, and 14 eggs in the bator right now, but they are all blue, black and splash, and I can't wait for them to hatch! Of the 3 of them, I absolutely LOVE Hector. He is so patient with me sticking a camera in his face practically every day, and he puts up with being picked up and snuggled all the time. My kids love to grab him and hug him and kiss him, and he just goes limp and waits for them to finish, lol. He's a good boy. He just learned the other day that he can crow too, and I got the privilege of being there when he did, and I told him what a manly crow it was, and he puffed up his chest and looked at me like "Thanks mom!" Lol!

I edited this to add that I also have a little black Silkie mix hen named Fannie with a pathetic little top hat that looks more like a point sticking up off the top of her head. But she is sweet as sugar, and adorable, even though she is homely looking! I love my Silkies!
love.gif
And to think, my neighbor told me they were dumb birds and that I shouldn't buy them...
ep.gif

Last edited:
I have several.
Started with a black silkie girl and then got some silkie mixes 2 days later.
So I have black, blue and white.

One that I have is a Silkie Serama which I can't wait to grow up!

I have a firm belief that one should own silkies if one loves chickens. Also, you should try to have ALL the different colors you can get! (I'm still working on that part.)
love.gif
jumpy.gif

I have 7 silkies (white, blue, splash and buff) that are beautiful, affectionate pets. I handle each of them every day (sometimes twice a day) and they are very sweet natured. I tell people they are little miniature chickens in bunny suits. I am working on harness and leash training so we can go for a walk together. That should freak the neighbors out. They have been called the "lap dogs" of the chicken world. Personally I believe they are a direct descendant of Tribbles.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I've always wanted to make like a small leash and harness for some of our chickens, but never got around to trying it and they would probably have a hard time getting used to it. But it would turn a lot of heads if I brought one for a walk in town, that's for sure! I bet if you brought a really fluffy Silkie, some people would think, "What kind of a dog is that?"
lol.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I've always wanted to make like a small leash and harness for some of our chickens, but never got around to trying it and they would probably have a hard time getting used to it. But it would turn a lot of heads if I brought one for a walk in town, that's for sure! I bet if you brought a really fluffy Silkie, some people would think, "What kind of a dog is that?"
lol.png

I use an "H" shaped harness made for a very small dog or cat and a very light weight leash. You have to be careful not to put any harness strap across their neck because it could hinder their breathing. They get used to it after only a few times.

Back
Top Bottom