Silkie Poll!

Silkies?

• I highly recommend them! They are great!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • WARNING: Once you have one, you will want many more!

• They are OK...Not my absolute favorite...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't recommend them (please explain)

• They often go broody and are great mothers!

• Other-please explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I LOVE my silkies!I mostly got them because of how broody they're suppose to be.I have one hen that's a hatching machine.She hatched out some about a month or so ago and know has daddy silkie watching them while she's on another batch.I don't know what the girls thinking.That and mine are the friendliest little buggers there ever was.Always wanting to be right by you.If they were any cuter I just couldn't stand it.Yeah, you can never have enough silkies.

Quote:
Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never lost a silkie to a predator. Mine free range all day, everyday. I also trim around some of their eyes...the ones that have huge poms.
big_smile.png

Do not see Purple chickens' posts. They are cruel...especially where he cooks the silkies...all with pictures!
lau.gif

I love my silkies. I had 5, lost 3 to a big eagle. I have two roos left, one white (dumplin) and a brownish one with gold flecks (brownie). Original names, I know, but I was running out of cool names. I plan on getting some more this spring...hens for these gentle boys. Right now they are with 3 of mybig red chickens.

Margot in Cold Snowy Michigan

Quote:
So sorry about losing silkies to eagles. We don't have any eagles around here, and the hawks are wimps.

I was born and raised in Michigan. What a beautiful state. Grand Haven is where I was born and grew up. It's a few miles south of Muskegon.

Also, wanted to say your avatar is just stunning.

Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought...Although the Spic n' Span spray that is used in the thread on how to bathe a Silkie is suppose to work really well on their legs/feet to get any dirt/poop stains out...I would have thought that using cleaning spray wouldn't be safe on them, but apparently so is Dawn dishwasher detergent, dog shampoo, etc...even cologne to make them smell good! (yep, someone said they put cologne on their Silkies after they give them a bath!
lol.png
)

Where is that thread?? Sounds interesting!

Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought...Although the Spic n' Span spray that is used in the thread on how to bathe a Silkie is suppose to work really well on their legs/feet to get any dirt/poop stains out...I would have thought that using cleaning spray wouldn't be safe on them, but apparently so is Dawn dishwasher detergent, dog shampoo, etc...even cologne to make them smell good! (yep, someone said they put cologne on their Silkies after they give them a bath!
lol.png
)

Where is that thread?? Sounds interesting!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=99105&p=1
Here you go...It's in the "Managing Your Flock" forum.
smile.png

7205_sophie2.jpg

Sophia the Diva Chicken says: WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE...................

7205_raincoat2.jpg

They don't look good wet... so when free ranging they may need a rain coat...................

7205_sophie_pirate_2.jpg

They can become hostile if you run out of cookies.....................

7205_freeze.jpg

And may even have you arrested if you are late feeding up..................

7205_sophie_cheer_2.jpg

But all in all they are great for cheering up your day.............

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
That's soooo cute, chickenzoo!!!!
love.gif
The first pic of her looking right at the camera and the 3rd pic are so funny! I can tell you spoil yours a lot.
tongue.png

I told my mom, "Do you know what an Asian Silkie is?" She replied, "No...?" Then I said, "Look it up."
gig.gif
I tried to make it sound interesting by calling them "Asian Silkies" instead of just "Silkie chickens", since she's not much of a chicken person. If I told her that they were chickens, she probably would have not bothered to look it up and would have never known how adorable they really are.
love.gif
Maybe now she will take time to look it up and then she will get the Silkie bug, too! Mwuahahahaaa!!!
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom