Silkie Processing Video - WARNING

Quote:
I've heard that's a good way to do it. I tried it once but it went very bad.
I won't go into the gory details.

Please consider making a thread explaining exactly how you do it.
Many here, including me, would appreciate it.

i do the neck slice,, but always go ALL the way through, and end up cutting the head off the first slice,,, i try to just cut the jugular vein,, but i think im more worried im not gonna cut it good enough, and the poor bird will suffer for a few minutes instead of a quick slice off.

We'll kill one today and I'll take lots of pics and make my post later. I wonder why I never thought of making a post about how to do it that way. It would be better as a video though. Look for the post later!
big_smile.png

I do have some pics of us a couple weeks ago doing our 30lb Tom turkey this way. Not the killing itself but him hanging while we pluck him. If he bled at all, it was so minimal. We had maybe a few drops on the ground. I should post what pics I do have of him and then make my thread of us killing our roo later.

ETA: my 7 yo son kills roos for me when dads not home to do the killing by breaking their necks also. It's a very clean and simple way to kill for kids wanting to help with the killing but may be leary because of blood or gore.

Last edited:
The video was very educational. We have had to cull a couple, but did it through neck wringing. The first time was a horrible experience! Although I appreciate your educational humor while undertaking a less than entertaining task, I had a bit of trouble watching the birds head being disrespected. We have tried to teach our children that all living things should be respected, even post death. That part of the video could have been left out. I felt compelled to express my two cents. Thanks for being able to hear all viewpoints.

Quote:
I agree... I could have done without the head being played with. But I know that my kids "ham it up" when they know they are being watched/filmed too...
I told my 7 year old son what the video was about and then let him watch it. The only thing he questioned was "why is the kid playing with the chicken head?" (Keep in mind he has never seen anything butchered before.)
Thanks for posting the other videos as well, they were informative and more to the point.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom