Silkie Prolapse - please help anyone!! im desperate ***UPDATE****

stumble_n_mumble

Songster
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
my silkie chicken is 24 weeks old. she was on laying pellets at age 18 weeks until about 20-21 weeks. then i took her off because i herd it was not good for them. so today i took my duck and chicken to work with me and i do like a "farm week petting zoo' thing once a month. i took the duck out for a while maybe an hour or so and i came back to find mumble (silkie chicken) with the huge membrane ball sticking out of her butt... i was freaking out and put the duck back in with her. i dont know if this was an attempt to lay an egg or what? i dont know if i should bring her to the vet or wait it out... im nervous they are my only birds and dont want anything bad to happen to them.... the membrane looking thing with veings and all went back in and now i seperated her from the duck and gave her quiet... im not sure whats going on. please help

Edited for title

Last edited:
It sounds like she may have had a prolapse, probably while trying to lay an egg. She may be eggbound, in which case you'll need to help her get the egg out. If you can feel an egg near her vent you can put some vaseline/KY/etc around & in the vent to try and help her pass it.

oh god. im so sad right now. all vets are closed.
sad.png
how long should i wait to see whats going on??

Don't freak out too much, my gold sex link has this almost every week and somehow it always goes back in. Sometimes I glove up and insert one finger to push it back in. I figure it is because she lays jumbo eggs and has almost since the beginning so as long as she eats and drinks good, I guess we will live with it.

I certainly would never put her to sleep or anything. As far as I can tell, she has a great life with all types of treats, good housing, good flock mates and an owner that always puts out good fresh food and water.

thank you sussex. shes my baby and i treat her like me child lol. im going to put her on 24 hour watch until tomorrow. i might just end up taking her to the vet just to make sure she is ok. thank you for all the suggestions. if you or anyone else has any more please let me know.

There are lots & lots of threads about prolapsed vents. Please do a search on "prolapse" to find treatments. It boils down to:

Separate from others
Push back in
Treat w/ Prep H (see searched threads for info)
Keep warm/comfortable

no improvement... very upsetting she is obviously in discomfort... vet appointment is tomorrow night at 715pm. hope everything goes well... anyone else have any suggestionss??

Back
Top Bottom