Silkie Questions - Beard or not to Beard?

Inkheart

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Columbus Ohio
Hello All

I have some Silkie questions - which is more popular the bearded or the non bearded - and is there a benefit over one or the other - ot simply jsut looks?

How hard is it to care for their feet and feathers in general - any specials needs involved there

IS there temperament really as great that everything i have read says?

How well do they do in a mixed flock - large fowl and Bantams

Thanks!

I can really only answer one question. The bearded is more popular. You will almost never see a non-bearded win over a bearded at a show.

I've owned silkies in the past. I had a buff silkie rooster that I absolutly loved and he was the biggest sweet heart that ever lived before he died he would just sit in my lap.

I think the reason you can just reach down and pick up quality Silkies is because their crests are much larger than hatchery birds and because of this THEY CAN'T SEE YOU!

My best hen was so gentle and docile, and I could pick her up anytime. Not anymore since I plucked/trimmed the feathers blocking her vision. I was checking her babies yesterday and she actually pecked me.

I have some Silkie questions - which is more popular the bearded or the non bearded - and is there a benefit over one or the other - ot simply jsut looks?

I prefer bearded and I would say bearded is more popular.

How hard is it to care for their feet and feathers in general - any specials needs involved there
They are easy to care for, but the whites get more obviously dirty and are a bit more high maintenance. I do just general once over grooming (pick out any pooh balls in fluff, make sure they can see/put a ponytail in their crest if needed) a couple times a week if that. It's also where you keep them- I have wire bottom cages that they go in at times and that is cleaner than a muddy run.

IS there temperament really as great that everything i have read says?
Absolutely! My chicks are always skittish at first but if you feed them from your hand and pick them up a lot, they are very docile. I have several hens that hop on my lap.

How well do they do in a mixed flock - large fowl and Bantams
Mine are around some standard size chickens (Easter Egger roo, Golden Campaigne) and D'Uccles and they are tolerant of anything I've introduced them too. They are very adaptable.

Definitely to beard in my book. I think they are a little more high maintenance than most chickens, but you can't help but WANT to take care and spend hours with them. They are the sweetest birds I have ever had. Swore I would never have a house chicken, but Jazz sits on the desk while I work on the computer. Her cage is about 3 ft. away. You can do absolutely anything to her and she doesn't care. She just wants to cuddle and hang out with you. When she was in with the other Silkies, she would hang out with them for a while, but was always looking for me. When I would go into their run, she would follow right behind me and when I stop she climbs on my feet. They are WONDERFUL. How could you not love this -

Back
Top Bottom