Silkie Questions

Well I am Cara, of Silver Pullet Poultry aka Smoky73.

You can certainly improve a line of birds by keeping the best of the hens you have and breeding to a bird that has all theother traits your hens are lacking. Or vice versa. Male silkies are so easy to find and cheaper than trying to find a SQ hen, I personally am up to my eyeballs in roos right now, I am sure others would also agree.

If all I had to work with was some cruddy hatchery silkies, I would certianly look to buying a roo from a reputable breeder, that has the qualities that the hens are lacking. Such as if the hens are lacking a large crest or bearding, I would get a roo that has a really large crest and nice beard to compensate. You can not work on evreyhting at once, but always breed your birds to another bird that has the qualities you want to improve on. Inbreeding is Brother to Sister, sometimes is OK IF you want to set a trait. I breed father to daughter or mother to son, which is considered LINE breeding.
That being said, sometimes you just truly have no idea what kind of genetics is in the birds WAYYY back. Example, I breed black to black. But yet, I know they were crossed way back to white, and this year, I had a surprise Wheaten and Silver Wheaten chicks.

Cara, I was just getting ready to email you directly! I have ben emailing different breeders that I've found and the ones that have been recommended...including you! Would you mind terribly if I picked you brain? Also you mentioned you had some roos. I would love to see pictures of the ones you have for sale. If you don't mind. How much are you asking for them? How much would shipping be to GA? I think I'll definitely take the "really nice roo" route and slowly acquire nice hens.

Thanks everyone for all the info.! It has been so helpful to me!

Hi 1997. Got your e-mail this AM. I e-mailed ya back.

Have not had times to take a lot of pictures, but can get some up for people to see if anyone else is interested, will make a seperate post though if I do, otherwise, the pics will be on my website.

I have been emailing Silkie breeders, trying to find someone who will let me pick their brain, because I am SERIOUS about trying to learn more about them, what the standard for "show quality" is, how to show them, what average prices for good show quality stock are, etc etc etc... I want to know EVERYTHING about them!!! But most ppl don't reply, and those who do say "have fun, sounds like you have a nice start, go to a show and learn from there".

I do not have any shows near me, I literally live in the boonies. I live over 120 miles from town. There IS a show coming up on the first weekend in November in Farmington, and I am going to go and observe. But that is ONE show.

And how is 7 hatchery Silkies a "nice start"???!!! I got 10 back in July, and have 7 left. I am not new to chickens in general, but I don't know anything about judging them, what is a quality Silkie, what colors/patterns/conformation are desireable, and I don't know anything about showing them! I am WILLING to learn! I just need to find someone who is WILLING to chat with me and share their knowledge!!!!

I have been involved in the horse industry my whole life, and have heard all the people saying "horse people are stuck up"... but I must say, it is MUCH easier to find a mentor in the horse world than the chicken world!!!

Is there ANYONE who will chat with me? I don't care what you do or don't know, I want to learn, and will happily talk to anyone, even if you are 8 years old!!!!
My email is [email protected]

Quote:
I am in the same boat! I'm totally new to Silkies and I WANT to learn EVERYTHING there is to know. I have been reading all the posts on here that I can find about Silkies and that has helped tremendously. I learn a lot but when I have questions I start a new post and everyone seems so willing to pitch in. I have emailed several, several breeders and no, I havn't heard from all of them but a few have been kind to respond.

I also have been in the horse world my whole life until recently. It's definitely hard learning a whole new animal. You think "oh it's chickens, it's easy" but there really is lots to know. I feel like a sponge! When you have questions, start a post. That way it's out there for everyone to give their input and experiences. And often times for me responses spark more question so I just keep asking.

I have also been told "go to shows" but its a matter of finding them. Good luck! I hope that the info. people have posted on here has helped!

I will start doing what you have suggested, posting my questions as new threads.
smile.png
I may drive ppl nuts, but oh well!!!

The thing is, I KNOW that there is a lot to learn, I just don't know what it is that I need to learn! LOL I know that I don't know what I need to know!!! lol So I don't even know what questions to start with!!!

Where are you located? I'm in NM.

What kind of horse involvement did you have? Did you show? Why aren't you into horses now? (If you don't mind my being so nosy!
smile.png

I barrel race, and breed and raise and train barrel horses. I also love to go on long mountain trail rides. My horses are my life.
smile.png

Dear Newbies..... I am gladly willing to share what I know with you, and I'm sure there are many others who will do the same. We all know that learning about silkies is a process, not something that we can just read about and learn in one big lump. No one person has all the answers anyway! HA! The way I learned was to read what various people wrote and answered and then asked SPECIFIC questions which got me specific answers. Then I asked more questions, got more answers, etc. We don't know what you know and what you don't, and wouldn't think of insulting you by telling you basic things if you already know them. I share your enthusiasm and have the "sponge" desire to learn more. Sometimes I get frustrated because I don't have ALL the answers. But I keep asking and learning and through that process make some good friends and contacts here on line. I also talk to people at shows and find out who is outgoing and personable, those that are willing to mentor and help others. I talk to them and network with the helpful people they know. It's so comforting to find someone who will agree to mentor you a bit (and I try not to impose or wear out my mentor, Christy)

You and I have a lot in common. My flock is small too. I only have 12 Silkies (Blue, Splash, White and Buff) and am building my second "stealth" coop this month. My enthusiasm got the better of my good judgment......AGAIN!!! ha!

SOOOOO....With all that said, can I ask you some questions?

1. How many of what color and age do you have?
2. What is your goal? Breeding? what colors? Pets? Showing?
3. What kind of set-up and housing do you have for them?
4. Where do you live and have you researched where the nearest Chicken Swap will be held?

I look forward to hearing about your flocks.

I have 10 Silkies right now. They are three months old.
1 buff--he/she(not sure) wont be in the breeding program, straight comb, pink wattles, and hardly any topnot.
5 whites--I think their wattles(roos) are too big and I think they have a bit too much pink in them.
3 partridge(i think)--I think they would be considered partridge but the tan only covers the head and neck. It doesn't continue through the body. and one has a straight comb. Partridge's have excellent feathering though. Very fluffy!
1 black--He's great but he's got a hint of gold feathers around his neck. Wouldn't that be a DQ? Otherwise, he looks good(as far as I can tell) I'll have to post pics later today and get opinions.

My goal it to produce and show really nice birds. My faves are white and splash so I thought I might get my whites along with the black/blue I need to create splashes on my own.
We have two different types of housing. For the pet quality we have an outdoor run with a inside nesting/roosting area. We also have an inside nursery for babies/Silkies. It stays clean and shavings are kept in the pens. The pens are on the ground, not elevated. (Should they be?)
I am in Georgia, an hour south of Atlanta. I didn't know there was such a thing as a Chicken Swap... How do I find one?

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that I am done with horses. I still have mine and yes, they are my life! I don't know what I'd do without my horse. I have never done serious competing. But I've done a little bit of western pleasure, I tried out eventing once to see if I'd like it--I didn't, I'm western at heart. I enjoy the jumping but just for fun. The English show world holds a lot of snooty people. Im in GA and I also do a lot of trail riding. I'm looking into trying endurance soon.

1997:
Smokey73 was right on the money. Look around for a good roo from a breeder and also go on the web and purchase the Standard of Perfection from the ABA or the APA and study it. I seem to go over it time after time. Make your hobby a fun one and don't expect things to happen overnite. It has taken me 3 years to get my program where I am happy with my flock. It is week after week of studying the birds, and making notations on their development. I love making play time with them! It is like playing dolls again!! I love to just sit and watch them as I make my notes. Don't think that it is going to happen overnite...too many people this time of year want to buy grown birds from breeders to turn right around and show them. There is alot of pride that comes when you have a silkie that places well at a show and you know that you have raised it since it popped out of the shell!!! Go to a couple of shows and observe and ask questions...I learn something new about my little sweeties all the time!

Have fun with your hobby and welcome to the addiction!!!
droolin.gif

Edited to say:::
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom