Silkie roo can't walk - necropsy results

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your boy.
hugs.gif

EEE and WEE is common around here in tri states.....horses have been coming down with it and some survived it. Anywhere there is mosquiotes or wild birds dying of EEE and WEE, you can bet your chickens can be affected as well. So does people but not as often.

Maybe that is what so many of our chickens are dying this year that looks like Marek's and this is another one to look at besides Marek's. Maybe we should bring up EEE/WEE symptoms as well.

So sorry you lost your roo but gladly you found out what was wrong with him!

Quote:
Ewesheep, you are sooo right. I mean if my vet thought it was Marek's and I thought it was Marek's , I guess alot of people would think it too. I'm glad I did the necropsy. It's kind of ironic that during this past week, my second guess would have been EEE or WEE.

The symptoms are very close, and just think, BYC and other chicken forum members are the only ones that want to know why their chicken died. Think of all the ones you don't hear about.

It's also ironic that Tampa Trubune and St. Petersburg times both ran a story about a chicken dying of equine encephalitis within 10 miles of where I live, and the story was from October 30th. Maybe it is why so many chickens are dying of "Marek's" this year.

I'm so sorry to read this. But I also want to tell you how much I enjoyed looking at the pictures of your chickens. You have a fantastic variety and they all look healthy and beautiful!!

All symptoms sound like Mareks, previously known as "free range paralysis." I have been told that Silkies are particularly susceptible to it. Because of this, I vaccinate all my birds, but, on some, it doesn't always prevent symptoms and I don't know why. Your vet could have easily missed a tumor. You should go to Dr. Browns site and vaccinate older birds...especially if you think the others have been exposed. That is his advice and he is the foremost poultry vet. Hope all goes well after this.

Back
Top Bottom