Silkie roo can't walk - necropsy results

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
For a few days he was off balance, yesterday he couldn't walk. I don't know why.
He's in with 4 other silkies that are normal
He probably went a day or two without food or water because he was having problems
No change in food or anything
wormed and checked for bugs
eating and drinking, I moved him to a crate so food and water would be close.
he's molting
its not cold here

Does it seem to anyone that this is getting to be a frequent illness? I'm reading so many posts about it. It seems like no one has an answer.

Last edited:
What is his age ? what is he eating? Do you have any vit supplement like aviacharge 2000? You can also add a cooked eggyolk and some sunflower seed hearts to his feed (mix all together with a bit of cooked human oatmeal).

He's 2 years old. I put him on e-lytes and vitamins yesterday. I've been giving him bread soaked in enfamil and molasses, with an egg this morning, and some vitamin E. They all were on Purina Layer, but just to be safe, I tossed it and bought Nutrena. He has a bowl of that too. He ate a bit of banana. he's alert and pretty much interested in his food, but I'm seeing that his aim is off when he goes to peck at it. He dozes off here and there. Thanks for replying. I am beside myself with not knowing what's going on.

Does he have a vaulted skull? I have heard several stories about minor bumps to vaulted skull silkies causing neurological problems (temporary and permanent) although I have no first hand experience with such injuries at this point.

I don't think he has a vaulted skull, and he was hatched pet quality. I don't think anyone pecked cause he's alpha roo, and the other 4 silkies accept him as so.

sounds like what my little d'uccle is going through... does he flail when he tries to move? (you can see a video in my post of what my girl is doing)... I'm documenting what I'm doing so hopefully if something works we might find the disease or bug or whatever is causing this...

Hope your little guy gets better!

I have pretty much the same thing going on. I was able to get her back on the mend only to have her re-lasp in the last day or two. The only thing that I can add is that I have some head shaking that is going on.....I have never figured out what was wrong with her just started giving vit. E on Bread or in a probotic (yogart, crumbles) and did give a shot of penicillian for 4 days. She started eating and getting around again but was still slightly off ballance but now she seems to have reverted back to not wanting to eat and not being able to stand.....Good luck.

I am no expert but I had a rooster who was unable to walk this spring and has now made a full recovery so here is what I did.
Moved him out of the coop to the shed, took him outside during the day to lay in the grass (a little hard to do now but I think he would get depressed otherwise)
Fed him pedialite twice a day in a syringe w/ needle removed so around 8ml's daily
I fed him a dissolved B superMax complex and fed the same way in morning
As often as he would eat I gave him scratch grain, also fed him eggs & a cottage cheese/pumpkin mixture (at one point he lost interest in eating so I fed everything via syringe for two days)
At night I mixed half (150 mg) st john's wort capsule in water and fed the same way as B
In three weeks he became stronger and in a month he could walk but fell some, now nobody would know anything was wrong.
Unfortunately his sibling now has the same signs, I have been treating her for 3 days. If this doesn't work I may try colloidal silver.
Again I am no expert, I just know how desperate I was to try anything that might help, so if you are in the same boat you may want to consider it.

Quote:
A few days ago he was shaking his head alot. And the last few days he also keeps one eye shut. I'm giving him vitamin E. I'll probably start vitamin B complex tomorrow, like Dennis suggested. And I should also start a diary of what's going on.

Please, all, keep updating.

Back
Top Bottom