silkie roo fighting with my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
kudos for protecting your family. I just can't seem to get
silkie=dangerous animal, but maybe you have had a bad experience with them.
There's no burden or conflict with being vegetarian, it's a way of life. It's just that killing is only an option after everything else has been tried.

OP, I really think you can calm your roo down by being the "Alpha" roo. Good luck & let us know how it works out.

Personally, I think if you'd like to keep them then you should try positive re-enforcement type things like you would for a child. When he is being nice, pick him up and hold him. Give him treats and talk to him. Re enforce the good and hopefully the bad will stop.

Hopefully. I can't make any promises.

Does he get to free range? Maybe try this if you can. Maybe he can get out some built up energy running around with the other chickens and leave you and your kids alone.
wink.png

Meriruka--What is YOUR opinion on this?

Last edited:
someone also mentioned a squirt bottle filled with water but that might make things worse I dont know. The pinning down thing worked for y guy but I think it was built up testosterone. After giving him some girls he is much better. If he is attacking your kids they have to be the alpha roo not you. Let them hold him down for a good 3 minutes or longer then let him go

I find some of my silkie boys have the small dog complex. Can be pesky buggars that have egos bigger than the world. I had one 18 ounce punk think he could beat up the 10.5 lb cochin cross. Well... after a stern flogging from something 6x his size and being driven back to his side of the property... he still didn't get it.

Try dominating him first and if that works, you can do as you please with the rooster. If you do rehome him, be sure to tell the future person that the rooster has a history of violence and cannot be trusted around children. Silkie is a delicacy to some asian cultures so it may make good soup too if you are not willing to eat him and he is indeed too dangerous to live at another home.

Quote:
I know it's just so rare that I offer my opinion;)

I think a combination of coloradochick's method and yours will straighten him out. Silkies weren't bred for aggression the way, say, pitbulls were and I am unable to find a human fatality due to silkie attack. I'm pretty sure he just needs his little attitude readjusted.

I will state a little fact. I am not flamming but pits where raised for dog aggression. any pits that showed agreesion to humans where killed. I had a pit and I loved him and he loved everyone. He let a 2 year old pull his tail and he did not care. most of the ones that are human agressive where either beat, starved or living on a 3 ft chain there whole life. Please dont delete this post mods as this is a true fact that I needed to share

lol.png

The image of breeding aggressive feather dusters just came into mind.

We are here to offer opinions and our experiences, so let's not judge anyone on their preferred methods of dealing with problems. Every situation is different and every animal will respond differently.

If your chihuahua suddenly got an attitude and growled at your kids, would you just kill it right away or try to change it's behavior? This is about giving the OP options with her particular bird. You gave yours, I gave mine. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom