silkie roo problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joe17, Nov 13, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have an awesome silkies roo from Bobbi Porto that is five months old. He was very healthy and now all of a sudden he always tucks his head into his chest and doesnt move around much. I let him free range and he just sits there with his head tucked down into his chest. What could be causing this? I have never wormed them before but I have been dusting them for parasites. If ANYONE has had this happen, what did you do? I planned on breeding him because he is just amazing! Here is a pictures of him a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Usually he cant stay still and acts well like a rooster! He looks just tired now..... I have put some rooster booster in his water. I cleaned out his coop and dusted some more just in case there are lice and mites. Could it be worms? Can I worm him and how? Thanks!

2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    threehorses has a good one on worming. If you can't fine it let me know.

3. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Do a search on cerebral hernia or crookneck in silkies. Fairly common in certain lines and especially among birds with large vaults. Could have came from something as simple as a weather change or a blow to the skull. Common treatments include vitamin E and prednisone. May or may not pull out of it and usually recurrs when the bird is stressed.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by