Silkie Rooster Has a Swollen Toe: What could cause this?

jta In Iowa

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
My Silkie rooster, Jake, has a swollen toe. Vet thought maybe mites and treated him with Antibiotics and shots but the toe is still pink and swollen. Vet is not a chicken expert. The toe nail fell off. Does anyone know what might be causing it and how to treat it? He was this way when we got him, it gets bigger and smaller with cold water soaks- causes him to limp at times because it hits on the spur.
64237_jake.jpg

64237_jakes_toe_2.jpg

64237_jakes_toe_4_.jpg

It almost looks like he has an extra toe? I'm not a expert on silkies, but my red sex links have four toes.

Did he get a stick in the foot and it's swollen up like that? I don't know, but I'll bump the thread for you.

All silkies (and faverolles, houdans, dorkings and sultans) have 5 toes per foot. I recommend soaking the foot in a warm to hot water, epsom salts and white vinegar solution. Clean and soften the feet and toes. I don;t see evidence (or lack thereof) of mites, and an antibiotic will have no effect on mites. It will have an effect, at least hopefiully, on infection, which seems likely.

Probably need to trim the spur. What does the top of the foot look like?

I really don't know what that is, try some anti biotics, if its infected they should hopefully work.
If the spur is irritating the swelling, i'd say cut it down. Saves the little guy limping.
Hope someone can help more though, sorry
He is gorgeous though
smile.png

Quote:
Bumble foot would have a scab or black spot I believe. Maybe something poked under the nail and caused on infection. Did the soak help?

Back
Top Bottom