Silkie Rooster not well

chickndoglover

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Victoria, BC Canada
I have a 5 year old black Silkie Roo who is acting lethargic, walks slowly, not steady on his feet and has lost weight. He lives in a pen with all banty girls and is still eating. I have him in the house now because it is very wet and cold outside (they are under cover out of the rain) and he was just standing in the corner sleeping standing up. Is 5 old for a Rooster? I have only had chickens for 5 years. He has always been very healthy until the last week. I have treated him for worms and mites and I have vitamins in his water. Any suggestions? Thank you.

That's too bad..I know that 5 years old isn't that old for a rooster so I don't think it's an old age thing honestly. Have you given him a thorough "once over" and checked for sour crop, impacted crop, more parasites, things like that? I mention that because you say it seemed to come on all of a sudden and the others are still healthy... might be a crop thing. But if you can't see anything like that maybe take him to a vet. I'm not sure what else it could be from what you described but he most definately doesn't sound well, sorry. Good luck :)

I cannot help you out but I really hope he will feel better
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom