Silkie rooster trying to crow but not making any noise.

Frizzlett98

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Southwest Virginia
My Silkie rooster, Leonard, has recently become the dominant rooster after I sold some other roosters. He was dominant before the new roosters, and now he's dominant after they're gone. So anyway I went up to the coop a few days ago and made some quiet crowing noises (to seem like it was my neighbor's rooster a few houses down) to see if Leonard would crow. Sure enough he flapped his wings and arched his neck but... no noise came out. He's been doing this for 3 days now. Can Silkies crow when they want or do they have to mature further before they can? My mom said she heard a rooster crowing coming from my flock this morning before I got out of bed but I can't figure out which one it is. I have 3 roosters, one we're keeping as a pet but might sell him (he's so happy here though) and he's a Cochin named Teddy. Teddy had 2 brothers who started crowing so it could be him or my Cuckoo Maran rooster, Larry, although Larry is very slow to mature. Larry has no interest in the hens. He acts like a hen himself. Hmm. Larry either started crowing and it was great for his first try, or Teddy was although he is at the bottom of the pecking order. Since Leonard isn't making noise when he tries, I guess that rules him out. My main question is why doesn't Leonard make noise when he tries? Or can he even make noise when he tries to crow? Hope you guys were able to follow that lol.

did you ever figure it out? I also have a silkie rooster and his name is Leonardo kinda funny, but he goes not the position and puts his chest out sticks up his neck but doesn’t make any noise. My mom and brother have also said they heard crowing but idk if it was him.

Back
Top Bottom