Silkie rooster with leg issue, hops around instead of walking.

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all!
This is Red, my sweet Silkie rooster. He and his wife, Magenta, were showing some signs of coccidiosis, so I put corid in their (and everybody else’s) water. (They weren’t the only ones showing signs)

Aside from coccidiosis, poor Red is facing another issue. I’m not sure if it’s related to the coccidiosis, but it’s been going on for a couple days. I’m not sure if his leg is splayed, paralyzed, or something else.

Should I try to make a brace for him or something? We’ve had two cases of splayed leg in day-old chicks, but they recovered fine after 2-3 days with the brace. I’ve never had this in an adult chicken.

He isn’t showing any other symptoms or anything, and the coccidiosis seems to be clearing up now. He is still crowing fine, and doesn’t seem lethargic at all. Here is a video of him. Thank you so much in advance!

I'm new to raising chickens so I don't know much but it looks like something is very wrong with his leg i hope someone else can help you out and give you more information

How old is he? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? It looks like he could have injured his leg, or might be showing signs of possible Mareks. It is very hard to see the legs of a feather footed bird, to see if toes are curled under or if there could be a leg bone deformity or slipped tendon. Those are things I would look for. I always would give riboflavin or B complex vitamins with a leg problem just in case. I would keep him near food and water on a non-slip surface.

How old is he? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? It looks like he could have injured his leg, or might be showing signs of possible Mareks. It is very hard to see the legs of a feather footed bird, to see if toes are curled under or if there could be a leg bone deformity or slipped tendon. Those are things I would look for. I always would give riboflavin or B complex vitamins with a leg problem just in case. I would keep him near food and water on a non-slip surface.
I’m not sure of his age, or if he was vaccinated. He was a gift from a friend. I have B Complex injectable with Thiamine, and some Poultry NutriDrench. Should I give him either of those?
CD4B2312-FBAF-4073-B4E5-A7D3B7D24508.jpeg

Thank you!

I have selenium & vitamin E gel for goats/sheep as well. Do you think that would help him?

I would use the NutriDrench 1 ml for a few days, then switch to the B complex 1/4 ml given orally every day. Electrolytes can give them diarrhea if used more than a few days.

I would use the NutriDrench 1 ml for a few days, then switch to the B complex 1/4 ml given orally every day. Electrolytes can give them diarrhea if used more than a few days.
Thank you! The B Complex I have is injectable, but I can still give it orally, right?
He is still on Corid, so is it safe to give him NutriDrench and/or B Complex? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom