Silkie rooster with tail feathers. Cross?

georgia531

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
SW PA/OH
Hello, sorry for a possibly stupid and redundant question but I have been searching for an hour. I was given 3 silkie roosters yesterday, had been looking for a white rooster for a long time.. i was so excited I got them home and noticed they have single combs. Ok i researched that, and thought well maybe still ok... so i go to look at them again, and 2 of the 3 have long curved tail feathers.. so now my heart is sinking... pure silkies dont have those feathers am I right? so bummed. and sorry for the stupid question.

Oh, I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I think your suspicions are correct, and you've got some silkie mixes. Especially with those single combs and hard feathers.........

If you could post a pic that would be truly helpful,

Sharon

Thank you for your response... i will certainly post a picture, 1 of them doesnt have as much tail feathers as the other 2, but my white ladies are so perfect, I dont want to mix them.

If they have silkie feathering, they are not first generation crosses. However, that does not mean that they are good (as in breeding or exhibition) quality. Certainly not desired to breed bad traits into good birds. If you post photos we can give you some opinions on whether they are worth using or not.

TS? As in Tractor Supply? That would explain incorrect traits; hatchery birds frequently have issues with meeting breed standards. I'd suggest putting them on bug patrol and finding different birds for breeders. You can usually find decent roosters from breeders for less than same quality females.

PS.. i am not a show breeder, but i do sell babies so i dont want to mislead anyone, i need to know if they are silkies or not.

Back
Top Bottom