Silkie Roosters need advice!

rockabilly7

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Florida panhandle
I have just acquired 9 silkie chickens 4 young adults and 5 older chicks. But I have noticed that all four of my adults are roosters. They have to be atleast 6 months old, they don't fight or bully one another right now and I think they are all siblings. So if they haven't started to fight now will they??? And do i need to start trying to find them homes???
idunno.gif

If you have only nine birds, total, then - yes- you need a rehoming plan. Roosters are programmed to dominate in order to mate. They will fight.

I have 2 Silkie roos, one Showboy & one standard roo, in with 25 hens. All roos are 8 months old. I know I have too many roosters according to conventional chicken wisdom. I am playing it by ear. The silkies are pretty conflict avoidant and the standard is too huge for any of them to mess with. The Showboy is trying to be a scrapper; he may have to go. My ratio of roos to hens is wayyyyy smaller than yours and I might still have an issue. I think that you will certainly have problems UNLESS you create a bachelor pad away from any hens. I know a breeder that does this. He just puts the roos that he is not breeding together in an out-building. They do not fight. He told me that if her were to put one hen in there, it would be a battle royale.

Back
Top Bottom