Silkie saga

The Snow Pack is still not individually named, these are my oldest chicks ever to not have names 😟 the problem is 3 I can't tell apart easily, if I can catch a glimpse, 1 of the 3 has wattle growth already at 6 weeks old (oh no!). One thing I've noticed is the fourth one is extra fluffy, it's tail is a round fluff and the shape of its crest is more rounded as well. The other three have more of a V tail and crest. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I have 3 cockerels and 1 pullet. If it does, I think I'll keep 1 silkie roo. I know they are still too young to know for sure, I'd love to have at least 2 pullets, but straight run doesn't always mean 50/50 especially when you only buy 4, I guess the solution to that in the future is to buy at least 10 at a time 🤣

If I do keep a roo, would it be beneficial to keep the early developing one, as maybe he would pass that trait on to his offspring so it would be easier to determine pullets from cockerels in future generations? If so, maybe I could hatch out some silkie chicks and sell started sexed chicks at 6 to 8 weeks old? That seems too easy, and I'm sure if it was that easy everyone would be doing it 🙂

I'll track their development on here over the next few months.

Attachments

• 20230604_091949.jpg
    20230604_091949.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230604-091657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604-091657_Gallery.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 13
I spent several hours yesterday remodeling their coop and got them moved from their grow out porch to their newly updated digs. We have an 8'x8' raised coop that had been divided down the middle when we had guineas, lately I had 3 BRs on the one side and used the other side as a bachelor pad for the rooster. A few weeks ago I moved the BRs into my original prefab coop that I expanded two years ago with my 5 remaining OG girls.

I moved the partition so the rooster has a 4x4 corner and the new flock will have the other 3/4s. Since I'll have 11 chickens in the coop now I needed to add more roosting space and make more room to fit their nesting boxes, and then the heated water base and feed for the winter. I crammed it all in with just the 3 hens, but I don't see it working with 11. I had to cut a new access door into the quarter, I managed to scrounge random hardware from the shop to make this a $0 change. It's, um... creative? But it works.

I thought I was making pretty straight cuts with the Sawzall, until I got out and looked at my handiwork from the outside. Nothing a little trim board can't hide (when I get time, in the future) 😎 neither my dad nor my husband said anything about my mods being good, they were pretty silent about it all when I showed them my final product 🤣 just because I can run power tools doesn't mean I'm a carpenter 😄

Attachments

• 20230603_144221.jpg
    20230603_144221.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230603_134929.jpg
    20230603_134929.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 11
The Snow Pack is still not individually named, these are my oldest chicks ever to not have names 😟 the problem is 3 I can't tell apart easily, if I can catch a glimpse, 1 of the 3 has wattle growth already at 6 weeks old (oh no!). One thing I've noticed is the fourth one is extra fluffy, it's tail is a round fluff and the shape of its crest is more rounded as well. The other three have more of a V tail and crest. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I have 3 cockerels and 1 pullet. If it does, I think I'll keep 1 silkie roo. I know they are still too young to know for sure, I'd love to have at least 2 pullets, but straight run doesn't always mean 50/50 especially when you only buy 4, I guess the solution to that in the future is to buy at least 10 at a time 🤣

If I do keep a roo, would it be beneficial to keep the early developing one, as maybe he would pass that trait on to his offspring so it would be easier to determine pullets from cockerels in future generations? If so, maybe I could hatch out some silkie chicks and sell started sexed chicks at 6 to 8 weeks old? That seems too easy, and I'm sure if it was that easy everyone would be doing it 🙂

I'll track their development on here over the next few months.
They sure are pretty no matter the sex. :love
I spent several hours yesterday remodeling their coop and got them moved from their grow out porch to their newly updated digs. We have an 8'x8' raised coop that had been divided down the middle when we had guineas, lately I had 3 BRs on the one side and used the other side as a bachelor pad for the rooster. A few weeks ago I moved the BRs into my original prefab coop that I expanded two years ago with my 5 remaining OG girls.

I moved the partition so the rooster has a 4x4 corner and the new flock will have the other 3/4s. Since I'll have 11 chickens in the coop now I needed to add more roosting space and make more room to fit their nesting boxes, and then the heated water base and feed for the winter. I crammed it all in with just the 3 hens, but I don't see it working with 11. I had to cut a new access door into the quarter, I managed to scrounge random hardware from the shop to make this a $0 change. It's, um... creative? But it works.

I thought I was making pretty straight cuts with the Sawzall, until I got out and looked at my handiwork from the outside. Nothing a little trim board can't hide (when I get time, in the future) 😎 neither my dad nor my husband said anything about my mods being good, they were pretty silent about it all when I showed them my final product 🤣 just because I can run power tools doesn't mean I'm a carpenter 😄
Looks good to me! I've learned that it doesn't have to look good as long as it does the job. :lol:

They sure are pretty no matter the sex. :love

Looks good to me! I've learned that it doesn't have to look good as long as it does the job. :lol:
For sure! A functional anything is better than having nothing because you were afraid it wouldn't be perfect. I remind myself that even if my coop is ugly, my chickens still have a better life than many. I see some backyard flocks that just look so sad and not cared for around here. I've got some spoiled chickens 😁 even if they do get creative coops.

Actually, my expansion job on the prefab turned out pretty awesome, I even drew up plans for it and bought materials. Definitely not a $0 change though! The girls were very thorough building inspectors.

Attachments

• 20200926_100947.jpg
    20200926_100947.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200912_150430.jpg
    20200912_150430.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200912_142516.jpg
    20200912_142516.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200825_103612.jpg
    20200825_103612.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201119_172511.jpg
    20201119_172511.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 13
For sure! A functional anything is better than having nothing because you were afraid it wouldn't be perfect. I remind myself that even if my coop is ugly, my chickens still have a better life than many. I see some backyard flocks that just look so sad and not cared for around here. I've got some spoiled chickens 😁 even if they do get creative coops.

Actually, my expansion job on the prefab turned out pretty awesome, I even drew up plans for it and bought materials. Definitely not a $0 change though! The girls were very thorough building inspectors.
It looks great, wonderful job!

I let the Littles out to free range this evening for a bit, thankfully they all went back in. The silkies were the first ones out of the gate and were tugging on the grass so hard they were pulling themselves over. It looked like they were completely starved, running from one tempting looking spot to another. Three are starting to grow wattles now, the one with the smallest wattles has the fluffiest legs, this little guy looks like he has Woolies on like he just stepped out of a western movie and needs a six shooter strapped to his leg 😆

Attachments

• 20230607_191203.jpg
    20230607_191203.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230607_190715.jpg
    20230607_190715.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230607_184150.jpg
    20230607_184150.jpg
    840.5 KB · Views: 13
I let the Littles out to free range this evening for a bit, thankfully they all went back in. The silkies were the first ones out of the gate and were tugging on the grass so hard they were pulling themselves over. It looked like they were completely starved, running from one tempting looking spot to another. Three are starting to grow wattles now, the one with the smallest wattles has the fluffiest legs, this little guy looks like he has Woolies on like he just stepped out of a western movie and needs a six shooter strapped to his leg 😆
So cute! :love

My older flocks "escaped" their coops when I refilled all the waterers tonight so were happily milling around the backyard eating away. I couldn't just leave the Littles and the Snow Pack locked up so let them out too 🤣 they had a blast running around, doing little hop fights, and eating everything. When I finished chores I wanted to get them back in their coop, the bigger girls I trust to find their way back for bedtime, but the Littles are just too little for me to feel confident about. Plus our youngest cat sometimes tries to chase them 🙄 so I have to yell at him *Smokejump, knock it off go pick on a chicken your own size!* it took a good bit of wrangling, trying to get the older chickens out of the Little's run, and the Littles in. After several failed attempts, I finally got all but 1 silkie in the run, I was at the run gate, the chick was about 15 feet behind me, and the cat another 5 feet past the chick.

Since I didn't have any other help I figured Smokejump would have to do, so I told him to get around. He lined up to the chick, slinked down, did his butt wiggle and sprang toward the chick. The chick ran right passed me and into the run all the while cussing the cat out 🤣

So apparently my cat knows herding commands now. This should really come in helpful, he's already a great help putting eggs into cartons.

PS: no, I'm not ok with him chasing my chickens, just a funny story of coincidence.

Attachments

• 20230418_205512.jpg
    20230418_205512.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230418_065624.jpg
    20230418_065624.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 12
My older flocks "escaped" their coops when I refilled all the waterers tonight so were happily milling around the backyard eating away. I couldn't just leave the Littles and the Snow Pack locked up so let them out too 🤣 they had a blast running around, doing little hop fights, and eating everything. When I finished chores I wanted to get them back in their coop, the bigger girls I trust to find their way back for bedtime, but the Littles are just too little for me to feel confident about. Plus our youngest cat sometimes tries to chase them 🙄 so I have to yell at him *Smokejump, knock it off go pick on a chicken your own size!* it took a good bit of wrangling, trying to get the older chickens out of the Little's run, and the Littles in. After several failed attempts, I finally got all but 1 silkie in the run, I was at the run gate, the chick was about 15 feet behind me, and the cat another 5 feet past the chick.

Since I didn't have any other help I figured Smokejump would have to do, so I told him to get around. He lined up to the chick, slinked down, did his butt wiggle and sprang toward the chick. The chick ran right passed me and into the run all the while cussing the cat out 🤣

So apparently my cat knows herding commands now. This should really come in helpful, he's already a great help putting eggs into cartons.

PS: no, I'm not ok with him chasing my chickens, just a funny story of coincidence.
Very pretty cats! :love Sounds like the Silkies enjoyed a nice evening romp! :D

Back
Top Bottom