SILKIE sexing experts please!!!!! Pictures!!!!!!

Here they are together:
01b15eff.jpg

Both are girls, nearly possitive. Usually the cockerels will have a few longer "hairs" on their crest that stick out a little further than the rest. Yours all look uniform, and no comb either, just have an all around pullet look to them ..

Looks like a pullet, but I have heard that in some of the lines the roos do end up with a crest that looks very pullet like. On the other hand, I have witnessed one of my silkie hens flying at another bird... let us know when you know!

looks like pullets to me. my silkies now 8 weeks old im pretty sure i have a cockerel his comb is bigger than your white silkies comb lol ill post a picture later if thats okay with you and my so called pullet im thinking its a pullet well im hoping lol

Yes I'm really hoping he/she turns out to be a girl as I have a few boys that I'm for shure about and wanna keep. Thanks for the replys

Update: geese, this is the perfect reason why people on BYC who have a bird that they are debating on getting rid of because of what the experts on BYC think the sex is of their chicken should WAIT until they crow or lay an egg. I posted this blue silkie as a boy and everyone that replies which some are known as the best silkie experts in the nation did said pullet. He just crowed today and mounted my hen he is in with. I'm glad I am getting good at sexing and guessed. I'm a firm believer that people should not decide the fate of their birds just because they post in "what gender is this" and everyone replies opposite of what you want to hear and you decide to sell or cull, just wait folks it's the only way unless you pay for DNA testing. Just my two sense.

Yes, those PRETTY boys can fool the best, lol;)
After being repeatedly being told to hold onto my stock to finish out before cuts are made, I finally listened.
Knowing the lines you work with and repeatedly going over the stock at different stages helps you learn over time what they should be.
But pullets can surprise you with a bigger comb than normal and boys can have a gorgeous crest.
It can be hard to hold onto so many for so long, but I do smaller batches and keep the numbers low.
It takes a huge flaw for me to make cuts early, what may look like a wing issue could be a bird molting, etc. I would suggest holding
onto the stock until it finishes out. Just my thoughts.
C

PS. they do look like girls,
lol.png

Last edited:
I am really new to chickens, so NO expert. I have no clue on gender... but LOVE your birds! They really do look lovely when compared to a lot of silkie pics I have seen lately while looking about the web.

My daughter would really like a silkie or two to raise and for 4-H. She has her heart set on a black one (I like the buffs... figures! LOL) May I ask where you got your stock from? Or... do you sell any "extra" babies?

Back
Top Bottom